Oh no, my 2 year old just said something bad...

I asked this sweet girl to go in the kitchen and pick up my coupons that had just printed and fallen on the floor

She gets in there and says

"oh! Oh shit, look at this mess!"

Ooops. She didn't say it angrily or anything, said it very gently and non chalantly. A month ago I dropped my SEPHORA blush in the bathroom and it busted up all over the floor and I said Oh shit! and she's said it a few times since then, if I ignore it will it go away? Just replace it with a different word?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:01 PM on Jul. 25, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son (4) learned the nasty B word from his cousin. First time he said it, he was put in time out and told we don't not say those yucky words. second time he said it, he got his mouth smacked. 3rd time soap. I know it sounds mean and harsh, but DH and I don't even say those words. He hasn't repeated that word since the soap. I have little tolerance for potty-mouthed adults (around kids) , let alone children. I do not agree with the just letting it go. My son said it when he was mad, and it wasn't for attention. I know he doesn't understand what it means, but he needs to learn that that isn't something we say. For the younger kids, don't ignore it either, just say something to the affect of, that isn't how we say that, its.... that is what my mom said she did when we would pick up naughty stuff.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:35 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• not that my ds is older (he's almost 4) we tell him he can't say "mommy and daddy words". I started telling him that around like 3 yrs old. He knows that he is not allowed to say mommy and daddy words and when he does I don't freak out and get mad but I just look at him and say "are you supposed to say mommy and daddy words" and then he says no or he'll say something similar that is a "parker word"...a kid appropriate word he knows he wont get in trouble for like "oh man"
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• My just turned 4 year old has been saying damnit! I try not to react, but I'm going to have sit down and have a talk with her about it, before she goes and says it at church. It's my fault too.....it's slipped out a few times when I hurt myself or drop something.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• When my oldest was about 15 months old I dropped a package of frozen meat on my toes. Two days later, he dropped a Tonka truck on his foot and instead of crying lisped 'dunofaditch'.

I was sort of in shock and honestly didn't know how to respond. Ultimately I ended up laughing (and mentally washing my own mouth out with some soap).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• First do not over react or it reinforces the word as a "power word".
    Second clean up the source. Where did she learn it from?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:10 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• My DD 3 at the time....said "the f'ing t.v.". b/c she kept losing the signal for the show she was watching. I calmly pointed out that we don't use that word. Her reply was "only Daddy can". He got an earful. He was out of town with his Mom while she was having surgery. This was a very stressful time for us all, but I look back and laugh.

Another one that got me was when I asked her several times to pick something up off the floor and I finally got frustrated and said "L pick this up now". She looks around the room (nobody else's name starts with an L) and says "who me?". Yes, you "am I speaking another language". Her response was "yes". I was dying laughing. I couldn't even punish her for that one. We even had company that couldn't keep a straight face.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• DO NOT laugh in front of her. I know at this age it is cute but don't react. She will then pick up on any reaction and then keep using it. Just let it go. If they don't see a reaction they will drop it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:44 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• You just have to correct her and let her know that it's a bad word and not to say that.. and also where she heard it from.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 3:29 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• ROFL! When my dad was a toddler he'd push his toy cars around the floor saying "Son of a bitch. Son of a bitch." he told my grandmother that's how men make the cars go. My grandfather got an earful about watching his mouth when the kids were in the car. :)

Don't react too much and don't laugh if you can help it (which is hard, yes.) When we hit that stage I told my kids that [pick the word] wasn't a kid-friendly word. I said sometimes grown-ups gets upset and say things we shouldn't say and that I [other adult] will do my [their] best to not not use such words and likewise, [child] should not use the word either.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:26 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• Welcome to 2 year old-land! Just a phase. Try not to cuss in front of her lol
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:25 PM on Jul. 25, 2012