what is the best cleaner to use when washing your walls

the walls in this house have stains from cigts. from the owners before us and there is marker on them. i am trying to get this house clean before we have the inlaws come up. any help would be great

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• magic erasers!!!!
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 11:57 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Straight vinegar if they are bad. Don't use this on walpaper obviously. The vinigar will disenfect and clean and freshen. The vinigar smell with go away after it dries.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:57 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Be careful if you have never used a magic eraser before. I am allergic and it made the skin peel off my hands and gave me a terrible chemical burn. I hear this is not a uncommon thing.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:58 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't know about cigarettes because we only smoke outside, but for any sort of marks -crayons, markers, stickey crap, etc. I use Goo Gone. It works great! I gave a bottle to my neigbor and she used it and loves it too (her 3 year old went crazy with some crayons!!) good luck!
    Anonymous

• good call. if you use them too hard they will hurt, but you don't have to use them too hard, they are like very fine sand paper and when i thought about it are probably better for just marks and smaller stains, not a whole wall or ceiling... vinegar is a great idea
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 12:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I used it when we moved in here, it's in an orange spray bottle, It's a citrus cleaner, can't think of the name but it cuts through everything and is safe for paint and to breathe.. It works awesome, you can find it at Wal-mart.
    Anonymous

• White vinegar, either straight or as a 50/50 mix with water. Put it into a spray bottle & just spray down whatever you want to clean, let it sit a few seconds, then just wipe clean. It will disinfect and freshen your whole house and it will not stink like vinegar when you are done, as the smell dissapates quickly. If you have time, you can make a really good all-purpose cleaner by slicing up a lemon & stuffing the wedges in a gallon jug of white vinegar, then leave it set for about a month - use straight or mixed with water, as above. For really stubborn stains, mix water with baking soda (NOT baking powder) and make a thick paste, then rub the paste on whatever you want cleaned (works nice for counters, tile, bathroom sinks, etc.). Caution, do not use the baking soda paste on stainless steel because it will dull it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Mr. clean magic erasers work really well.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Once a pull out the magic eraser to remove a little smudge here and there, I start to notice every slight blemish on my walls. I love it though, instant gratification.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:28 AM on Feb. 4, 2009