Forehead thermometer?

I have to buy a new thermometer mine stopped working.I guess the battery went dead. Anyway. I have 3 kids ages newborn- 2 1/2yo. I was wondering how many moms had one of these and how it worked for you. I see the pedi use it on my kids all the time and they seem to think it works. What about you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Nope, not always acurate! I wouldn't waste my money. Rectal Thermo for infants and toddlers is the only way to get an accurate temp. They do make rectal thermo's....check around for them.
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 12:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My dr suggested the forhead therm...said they were very accurate if you get a good one. I love mine.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

is that even safe for parents to be doing? we were told never to do a rectal on our kids because we could do it wrong and hurt them.

i want to get one of those ones that you put in the kids ear. i heard those are really good.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My hubby and I bought a top of the line one when they first came out, and I hate it, The darn thing is always off... I would just get one of the regular thermometers (*rectal*) or the ear one.. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone to buy one of those forehead ones, just a really big waste of money and time! JMO!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would probably just do rectal on your youngest and axillary (armpit) on your older child.

As for a forehead kind... do you mean one that swipes across the head and the temple? Or the kind that sticks on to the head?
    I found the kind that swipes not very accurate if they are sweaty at all (took a temp on a guy that had temp of 102 and it said 97.5!) And mine was hospital grade I was using.
    The stick on kind.. you could get a "idea" of what is going on... but I think I would want a more accurate reading.

And if you look at tympanic (ear thermeometers) the hosptial grades ones can be very accurate, but I don't know about store bought ones. But you can get false readings on children younger than 6 months, with earinfections, or if they had been sleeping on that ear.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We do forehead. You are NOT to use an ear one on children under 2 I think it is because it doesn't get a good seal in the ear because it is meant for adults. I refuse to do rectal because I heard you can harm the baby and because my oldest has only had it done rectally ONCE in his entire life and he will be 3 in June and he had it done that one time because the nurse was evil. Our hospital and pedi uses the forehead one and so do we. And as for the sweaty thing, if you read the instructions it tells you how to get an accurate reading if your child is sweaty and it involves not just swiping it across the forehead.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2009