Sam's Club

My husband, son, and I are about to move into a townhouse with a few friends. We were considering getting a Sam's Club membership with the other couple there and splitting the cost 4 ways. I was wondering if anyone knew how significant the saving on diapers and other groceries are Vs. a regular grocery store like Safeway. Anyone know?

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Shopping

• I generally don't buy food in bulk at Sam's. Around here, it takes forever to eat a bulk amount of anything and we usually get sick of it before it is used up. Products you use regularly as others have mentioned, like diapers, detergent, cleaning supplies, hygiene products, and formula if that is what you are feeding are well worth the membership. Since you are splitting the fee with friends, the fee is less, so I would say go for it. I have found great deals on clothes there and it is the only place I buy diapers.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• for some things it's really great, but for others it's not any different. we had a temporary membership to bj's and ended up spending a lot more than at the regular store per week, so it wasn't worth the membership fee to us
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 12:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yes, I agree with the above poster. You do have to know your prices. But, diapers for example are worth buying at Sam's. Other items we buy are; water, laundry detergent, cat litter, bread, vitamins, juice, eggs, baby wipes, clothing, books, soda and even jewelery. Personally, I think a membershp would be well worth it! =)
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 12:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We have a Sams membership and it does end up paying for itself in the long run if you buy a lot of things in bulk. Allergy pills alone are a huge savings at Sams. You can get almost a years supply for what I would have paid for a two month supply!!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I buy from Costco which is similar to Sams. I LOVE it. We have saved so much money because we don't shop as often. We buy extra bread and milk and freeze both of them. We've stopped buying single serving items because the price is so inflated. It's totally worth it and we are only buying for hubby, me and baby who is 4 months (diapers!!).
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2009