Anxiety about my sister starting high school.

Hello

I have a  sister starting high school this fall as a freshman. For the sake of time and so everyone who is reading this will not be bored out of their mind i will not go completely into why i feel like this just slightly. I'm a over thinker and i inform myself about whats going on in the world by watching the news, looking up sex offenders in my area, and watching as well as reading about true life missing persons cases. However, in the process of informing my self as well as my younger siblings i have completely siked myself out. I know its irrational but i can't help it at all and i have felt this way for a few years now. There is just something about my younger siblings starting school or going back to school after a break (winter, spring etc) that makes me uneasy the first day they have to go back. I'm sorry if this is hard to follow or if i sound weird but these are just my feelings so please understand. I have no idea why i feel like this! The situation is for the most part safe and i know this but can't shake the feeling. she is going to have my other sister going to the same school, neighborhood watch and police officers around the premises, security guards, and rides home but i still feel (God forbid) that something is going to happen which i pray that it doesn't. Please tell me how i can shake these irrational feelings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2012 in

• Are you currently seeing a therapist? If not, I would suggest that. It's normal for some amount of anxiety but what you are talking about is excessive.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:03 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

• what she said ^^^
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• You need to see a counselor.
    One thing you can do is to discipline yourself into no reading or watching those kinds of things.
    You need to focus on the positive things in the world. You need to remind yourself that the number of people that come to harm in high school is so small in comparrison to the number of kids who come out the other side just fine.
    Remember what you feed into your brain is what it will feed on. Negative or positive, it is your choice. Get help to support you while you make this change in your lif.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• You are putting too much negative crap in your mind and now that is the part which you are allowing to control you. Look up :Two Wolves" - A Cherokee parable.
    It sounds like you need to stand in front of your own mirror and work on yourself instead of worrying about the things you can't control as well as getting busier with your goals, dreams and looking at yourself. Future tripping can become nasty character defect unless you learn to be aware that you have the power to control what you allow yourself to think.. Your emotions or "feelings" can all be changed with your thinking- that is where your solution lies....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:07 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• Please get help. Right now you're making yourself sick. If you don't get help your paranoia is going to affect the rest of your family. Please act now!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• It sounds like you might be a bit obsessive about reading this stuff, and severe anxiety either as a result of what you read or worsened by what you read. I'd see a therapist ASAP, because if it keeps getting worse, it's going to have a seriously detrimental effect on not only your own life, but the lives of everyone in your family.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• Well in the world we live in now some anxiety is normal. You should ask yourself if this is working for you? Is it impeding your life, impacting decisions, changing the way you live? If the answers are yes then it is time to see your doctor for a referral to a counselor for axniety. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2012