What do you think of...

mother's who use the child leashes? And if you do use one, why do you?

SandraB383

Asked by SandraB383 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think for some people it works and for others it doesn't. I see no harm in using them and would have if I would have felt the need.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I use a leash to protect my dog from running in front of cars, why not give the same protection to my child? He can run around, not be trapped in a cart or stroller, which is good exercise for him. I can keep an eye on him even if I am distracted for a moment. It's really a safety issue and I don't know why more parents don't use them.
    Anonymous

• I think it shows a lazy parent. Even my dogs don't require leashes.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• BEFORE I had children, I thought the leashes made the children look like dogs! HOWEVER, once I became a parent, I realized how it MIGHT be easier to keep your child close, allow them to explore things at their level, without having to "drag" them everywhere by their arm!

I never used one--even though I have special needs children, and in hindsight can understand the benefit--we're old fashioned hand holding/carrying/stroller/carts/wagon/up on shoulders parents here! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think self righteous moms who can't look beyond the word "LEASAH" and see the practicality behind them and the fact that when used properly they are a great way to help keep your child safe when you need a little extra help with that and who think moms who use them are lazy, are judgmental blind idiots.
    Anonymous

• I think they can be a great safety tool for moms.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I have only used it once, i was flying with my 2 y/o alone and i was very pregnant had lots of bags and a car seat to move from terminal to terminal, at that time it was the safest thing i could do for both of us.

Now on the flip side two weeks ago at a scout event i saw a parent with a child on a leash and this kid was wild, omgosh wild screaming so loud you couldnt hear the announcer with the microphone. the child was squirming, flipping, would try to run then hit the end of the leash like a wild animal get jerked back, to me it was lazy his dad sat there ignoring it and just letting this child flip out on the end of the leash. if they are going to be used like this then yes they are bad, the only way to use one is to have a responsible parent holding the other end. There were so many parents who were shocked by this display,

I dont think parents who use them are bad, unless you are the guy above lol
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think they are great for giving a toddler the freedom to explore while also establishing a sense of independence. Yes, they are still attached to their parent but not restricted by having to hold someone's hand at all times. I don't think it's a sign of laziness at all. Sometimes you just end up in a situation where there are too many people just to trust your toddler to walk beside you. It's also a safety measure.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm realllllly sick of the parents who say using leash for your child shows a lazy parent. I used one for my 2 year old when my last child was born. He hates being in the stroller so he was able to walk but I put the leash on him so he wouldn't dart into the street while we were walking and I was holding the baby. People need to stop judging and realize every parent has their own style and we don't all adhere to one method of parenting and it's unfair to label a parent lazy because of certain ideas of right and wrong.
    Anonymous

• I use one only for events like a parade where there are too many people to fit the stroller and then the child is right next to me. I am always leary since hearing that people love to see a child on a leash because they are easier to kidnap. one cut and a grab and the kid is gone before you notice.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009