What is the difference between a SPIRIT and a SOUL?

The reason I ask is b/c a friend of mine (Christian/Male) claims that the reason he is like God is b/c he has a spirit. Well I asked him if he thought a spirit and a soul was the same thing and he said no...So what is the difference between a spirit and a soul? If any.

more like a survey

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 8:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont believe there is a difference except who is using the term.

To me it all means the energy that makes up who we are.
    LadyLotus3

Answer by LadyLotus3 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• Man is a spirit being("created in the image of God"). He has a soul, which is made up of the mind, will, and emotions. And he lives in a body. So in a sense, the soul controls the spirit in that it is the decision making part of man. The fact that man is a spirit being is what separates or distinguishes us from all the other animals. Man is the only creation into which God breathed the breath of life. All the rest were simply created--but not in the image of God.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:29 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• I have no idea what your friend is talking about, maybe he's dividing one concept into two, maybe he isn't the brightest bulb or he is getting some bad information.
    A spirit is a remnant of something. He can be imbued with the Holy Spirit, but that doesn't mean he shares or owns any part of that spirit.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• My soul is who I am, what makes up who I am here and now. My spirit will be the energy that made up my soul after I am gone from this life.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• Well, I can only give you the Jewish view. According to kabbalah, the "soul" has 5 levels:

Nefesh (soul) is the soul that gives physical life, the basic soul every living thing has
    Ruach (Spirit) is the emotional self and "personality."
    Neshamah (breath) is the intellectual self.
    Chayah (life) is the supra-rational self--the seat of will, desire, commitment and faith.
    Yechidah (singularity) connotes the essence of the soul--its unity with its source, the singular essence of G-d

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• To me I see it this way... they are the same in a sense... just in different forms/locations
    Soul = Your life force, or life energy... what makes you You
    Spirit = That life force disembodied  

I realize that is not how your friend may be seeing it. I literally Googled spirit vs soul and found this... 
    That might explaine where he's coming from??  

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2012

• **explain I meant 

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2012

• spirit is the invivisble and soul is the person, maybe your friends sees it different. like holy spirit .
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2012