• In the Spotlight:

DH doesn't feel significant...

How can I help my DH feel like a bigger part of our pregnancy? He works 6 days on and is home for 3... he doesn't feel like he's contributing much, and he says every time he comes home I'm bigger, the baby's bigger, and it's a surprise every week. Said he's tired of the surprises, he wants to be here more. We only have 11 weeks to go, and his job is our only income.

Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would just talk to him about things. Maybe you could keep a journal of what is happening when he is not home. I am sure it is hard because he is away so much.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• There isn't too much you can do. You can try asking him for thngs I guess. Maybe when he is home tell him you feel more relaxed when he rests his hand on your belly. Or say you need a back rub. Also remember to tell him that you really appreciate him going to work and supporting you even thhough its hard for him because he wants to be with you. Remind him that soon enough he will come home and have a baby handed to him right away because "mommy needs a break"
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 12:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It sounds like he is away from home for 6 days at a time? What about webcams (if he has a laptop at work, or when he's away) that way he can talk to the baby every day. He could read a story on his end, and you can rub some cocoa butter on the bump as a nighttime routine.

We got into webcams because my family all lives 500 miles from us, and my mom was sad about not being involved in her grandchild's life because of it. Now he talks/babbles at her a few times a week, and he knows her face and voice when she comes to visit. It is wonderful. Webcams are about $50 each, and you can use them for free calls on sites like Skype or ooVoo.

Good luck!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• web cams are great! but if that isn't an option because of his job or something, do you guys have picture cell phones? try sending him pictures of you and your belly every day or two so that he feels a little more connected. Definitly make sure you let him know how much you appreciate his sacrifice of going to work when he would really just rather be at home watching you grow :) Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I also go to another website called "Storknet "and you can go week by week showing what
    is changeing about the baby and at the bottom there is a section for the dads. I like it, I always read that part to my husband. I also caught him looking up the site. Try it out. Good luck.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009