17 month old and punishment?

my dd is 17 months old and she finds everything i do to punish her funny. i put her in time out she gets out and does itmore and ill put her bakk in and she does it even after. she smacks me and bites me and punches and scratches me. its irritating because no matter what punishment i give her she thinks its funny and does it more. what do i do?

xhellxfirex495

Asked by xhellxfirex495 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Im waiting for the answers, too. My 23 month old is like that.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 12:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I showed my kids that it was not fun when they acted that way. I may have only had to pretend to cry or act hurt, but other times I would have to gently do it back to them for them to realize that it hurt. Keep in mind I was NEVER rough or harsh enough to leave a mark of any kind, but as soon as they found out how it felt the actions stopped. Good luck moms.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If my daughter slaps me, I slap her hand back. Not hard, mind you, but to let her realize it hurts. I also pull her hair if she pulls mine, and say, "See, that hurts, doesn't it?" Also, when you discipline your child and they cry, resist the need to comfort them when they do - it was REALLY hard for me to do at first, but I don't like getting beaten on all day long either. I also have taught her some basic sign language, and that cuts down on her frustration when she can communicate with me.

She usually stops hitting and pulling hair. I tried and tried and tried to say 'no hit' about a billion times, but sometimes kids need a hands-on approach for them to realize what they're doing. She hasn't hit in a long time because of this. She is 20 months old.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 1:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• At this age, redirection is the best option. You take the item away (and put it up high) and offer her something else.
    For tantrums, I do "calm down" time. I put my daughter on her time-out mat and leave her there until she calms down. There is no time-out time added on since she didn't break any rules, just had overwhelming emotions that lead to a fit.
    If your's won't stay in a time-out spot, try a playpen. Don't use her crib - that should be a calm, happy spot only.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2009