Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get the school to test my daughter for a learning disability.

My daughter is 13 and we have been struggling for years in school. Math is our main struggle these days. I am positive she has a learning disability but the school won't test her. As long as she is getting by with a 70 thats all they require. Most of the time she doesn't pass her math test but the teacher allows them to correct them for a grade of 70. We live in Texas and next year she will be in the 8th grade. She can pass her class but if she fails the TAKS it won't matter. I don't know what to do and I feel like I am hitting a brick wall with the school.

I just want them to test her but I guess afraid if they do then they might actually have to do something.


Asked by doublesmom at 12:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • "I just want them to test her but I guess afraid if they do then they might actually have to do something."
    That's exactly the problem! Just keep pushing it, call and email her guidance counselor, the math teacher and the principal DAILY until something is done. It is the school responsibility educate children but they do all they can to do it to the lowest standard.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • Have you talked to her teachers and counselor? Maybe they can give her extra help or you can get her tutoring. There's a lot of good tutoring programs out there, my daughters friend who also struggled in school went to Silva Tutoring Services and is now on the honor roll. They helped her with her homework and organizational/study skills. Good Luck

    Answer by staceynoel at 12:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • i request a meeing wthit teachers and writ a request to the school ,

    Answer by skatemama781 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • You have to request an education evaluation. Ask the principal what to do.

    Answer by mompam at 4:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • You need to put your request in writting. write a letter addressed to the school principle or special education coordinator. Date it list your request for a complete educational evaluation for your daughter and why. Try not to be to emotional in the why simply state the specific difficulties you see her having and what things have already been tried to help her overcome them. If her teachers have attempted extra help in the past like tutoring or one on one help, extra time or work to make up grades this would be where to state that. Send your letter registered mail to ensure that it arrives and noone can later say they never got it. Keep a copy for yourself. If you deliver it directly to the school ask the person you give it to to sign and date the bottom and then make a copy for you. This is so that if they lose it you still have a copy that you did indeed deliver it to them so no excuses.


    Answer by booklover74 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • The school is required by law to test doesn't matter what they is your decision.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2009