Human resource help please!

So I am assistant manager of a restaurant and my manager is on vacation this week. Well we offer these cards that after customers purchase so many meals they get the 11th meal free. Well yesterday I caught one of the waitresses punching all the way down to the free meal on two cards. I hollered for her and she dropped them and walked off. You could tell she had a disappointed look on her face. So I walked out to the front and picked them up and put them in my pocket. The thing is if employees are caught doing this they can be fired on the spot. So I walked to her and asked if she was punching them and she said she was bored and was just punching them to waste time and was gonba punch all the way through and then throw them away. I think she was lying because I k ow her boyfriend just lost his job, they live in a camper, don't have much money, and abuse both drugs and alcohol with the money they do have. She's told me. I have no real authority though to fire, and if I tell my manager and she gets fired she will k ow its me that told. And I do t want any retaliation from her. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2012 in Money & Work

• I would give her a warning and leave it alone.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 10:52 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• Yep, I agree w/ ABeaverhausen. Give her the warning, extra work to keep her from being bored, & enough rope. She'll either pull it together b/c she needs her job, or given enough rope, she'll hang herself when the Manager is back. (metaphoric rope of course!)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• That's a tough one. If anyone else knows you know and you don't say anything, could you lose your job if the manager finds out?
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 11:42 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• Has she done this before? Can you somehow turn them in without naming names? If this isn't the first time she's done something inappropriate, I'd report it. But if she's never done it before, I'd tell her that next time, you will turn her in. If it's possible, I'd turn the cards in without saying who did it, just that you found them and you know that one of the employees did it but not who. That way you're not really hiding anything. They'd be able to investigate and find out it was here, if they really want to find out and do something about it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:55 AM on Jul. 26, 2012

• You're the assistant manager, FIRE HER and tell the manager why!

Frankly I'm surprised she's still employed if she's admitted to abusing drugs as any job I've ever had (even fast food) has required me to pass a drug screening for employment
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2012

• I have 14 years of retail management experience.... I'd say you NEED to report that to your manager when he/she comes back for vacation. If you don't and she gets caught down the line it could come back to bite you in the ass later on. As an assistant manager it's your job to report what you saw & what was said. Maybe even take action. Sit down and write it all down now, while it's fresh in your mind. If you don't have any power to do so then it's the managers job to take action one way or another. Chances are the person will get a warning b/c the manager wasn't there to deal right away. Call your District manager if you feel you need to deal with immediately. Reporting this immediately will make you look good in the DM's eyes. Believe me... if you don't report it, and she gets caught, then you could be held guilty by omission. Of course she will know you were the one who reported it, but that is YOUR job.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 26, 2012

• If you DON'T report her, you could be held liable for allowing it and you could be shown the door along with her. Report her. Let her be fired. Quite frankly, sounds like someone who should be out of your workplace anyway. Who knows what ELSE she's been doing?

Yes, she'll know. So what? Are you afraid she'll do something? That's when you call the cops.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2012