My baby has pooping problems.

My 6th month old only poops every 5 or 6 days and when she does its really really hard and thick. The doctor said to give her juice, but she's been only breastfed and won't take a bottle or sippy cup so won't drink it out of either of those. I've tried to mix it in with her rice cereal, but i know she's not getting enough in that. Does anyone know anything else I can try to either get her to drink juice or anything else different to try and soften her poops and get her to go more often?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 12:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at that point I would put some in a syringe and try to get her to take it that way as you would meds.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It is completely NORMAL and SAFE for an EBF baby to go up to 10 days between bowel movements, as long as the end result is not dry, hard or pellet like. DO NOTHING. Oh, I see she eats rice cereal, I'd stop, or decrease it and see if that helps.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Rice cereal can cause constipation, maybe switch to oatmeal.
    AM78

Answer by AM78 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My pediatrician told me not to let my daughter go more than 3-4 days without a BM and to mix Karo syrup with some hot water if she had gone that long. I used about 1/2Tbsp with 2 oz water for my 4 month old. The water should be hot enough to melt the syrup but make sure that it cools a bit before you give it to your LO. My daughter likes it on the much warmer side, she is also EBF, and just try to give it to her right before she is ready to eat-she will be more likely to take it if she is hungry. I think it took less than an hour for it to work for us. If not try it again after 4-6 hrs with a bit more syrup. Just be prepared for a diaper blowout! It worked for both of my daughters!I would also stop the cereal, you can switch to oatmeal or stop all together for a couple days. Good Luck!
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Karo syrup carries a botulism poisoning risk, just like honey. I wouldn't give it to anyone younger then at least 12 mos for any reason.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I was always told the more juice you give a baby the more diareah they are going to have so try some juice.
    JennEmily0414

Answer by JennEmily0414 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You've started solid foods? Is Rice the only thing you've given your baby? Rice can cause constipation, so give something that will help as the next food. Fiber is really good for the digestive track. It passes through your body without being absorbed so it is very effective at helping to keep the bowel moving. Oatmeal and Barley cereal have more fiber than Rice, so I would introduce one of those next and only give Rice on occasion. In addition, when you do start fruits/veggies, start with something like green beans or broccoli as both are extremely high in fiber (I make my own and as long as I give her a serving of one or the other each day, she is very regular).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My son is breastfed also. He would go a week before he would poop (until we introduced solids, now he goes almost daily)
    His poops was always very very thick and sticky... never hard though.
    We from time to time would use a suppository if it went over a week and he started to get crabby.
    I woudn't feed rice if she has poop problems... it will make constipation worse. (also stay away from banana and applesauce)
    Maybe try some baby food prunes.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2009