Can 3 yr olds fake being sick or anything like that?

I had to get pepto-bismol for her tummy awhile back,and its bubble gum flavored. So I can't tell if her tummy hurts for real, or does she just like the stuff? She is acting ok other then that. Ideas?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2012 in Kids' Health

• I would offer her something else for an upset stomach (ice chips, etc) and see if she fights for that particular medicine or is pacified with something else.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2012

• Good idea^^^
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2012

• I agree with Mom-2-3-Girlz. I would try that. My daughter "fakes" booboos to get bandaids bc she likes them, and I used to fake being sick at that age to get Tryaminic (turns out, my mom was dosing me wrong and I ended up addicted to it).
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2012

• Yeah, I'd offer another medicine and get her reaction. When my kids would "get sick" at school and the nurse would call me, I'd ask her to put them on the phone. I'd tell them that if I had to leave work to come get them because they were so sick, that when we got home, they'd have to go straight to bed and no tv, no toys because they were so sick. You'd be amazed at how many times that deadly disease miraculously went away. lol Sometimes you just gotta call their bluff.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:27 AM on Jul. 27, 2012

• I use mint flavored tums (the other white medicine--what my DD calls it). You can't overdose on tums, but pepto has asprin in it and can be detrimental if given in to many doses to close together.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:38 AM on Jul. 27, 2012