Please help...

I think my milk supply is running extremely low. I've tried pumping to see if I can get anything out, and nothing at all ever comes out. Usually my breast stay extremely full, I go through breastpad like crazy!!! But for the past 2 days it seems as if I have no milk at all. I can hand express a few drops but thats it. My DD is 2 months old, and she empties both breast and still screams for more. I actually gave her a bottle of formula this morning because I'm afraid she isn't getting enough.... So what can I do to boost my milk supply???

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 1:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• TRY TO DRINK MORE WATER AND I HEARD OATMEAL HELPS TO GET IT GOING EAT HEALTHY NUMBER ONE THING
    Anonymous

• First, pumping is NEVER NEVER NEVER any indication of how much milk you are making. Definitely sounds like a growth spurt. Nurse nurse nurse, and nurse some more. In a day or so, you'll be going through all those breast pads again. Second, you REALLY need to ditch the formula. Supplementing will only damage your supply. Drink at least 64 ozs of water, eat a bowl of oatmeal a day, and you can also try an herbal remedy called Fenugreek. Take 3 capsules 3 times a day. You can get them at your local health food store.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Don't worry about what the pump does or does not get. If your baby seems hungry after nursing, put her back on the breast. This will stimulate further milk production. You are never truly empty, you are making milk even as you nurse. The only indication of a low supply is diapers. As long as you are seeing 4-6 wet diapers a day, you're fine. Supplements can hurt. I'd drop them. Just keep nursing, and on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009