Shoulder Distotia (sorry about spelling)

I delivered my daughter 5 days early (not by induction it just happened that way). My labor and delivery all the way up to her head popping out went like a movie, it was perfect! Then her shoulders got stuck. Bad.
So this time around my doc is inducing at 38 weeks in the hopes that the baby will be small enough to not dislocate both of my hips during delivery.
My question: have any of you had babies with shoulder distotia and gone on to deliver another baby that did not? I am wondering if once one of your babies has big shoulders all of them will. Is it genetic? Or was she just a line backer? lol Any answers at help! thank you!

hannahjoy17

Asked by hannahjoy17 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your OB must not know that shoulder dystocia doesn't just happen in bigger babies. In fact, there isn't an increased risk in a big baby getting stuck.

He also must not have known that by moving you into a different position, such as hands and knees could have easily gotten your child unstuck....

And induction wont help things out, because you can't judge a birth based on a previous birth, or previous child's weight, each baby is different.

My mother's first child was almost 10 lbs... he didn't get stuck. Her second child (me) got stuck at the shoulders... and I was only 7 lbs. Her third child (my sister) was 7 lbs as well and didn't get stuck lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Ditto!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Like celticreverie said, dystocia is not more common in larger babies than any other sized baby. The problem is that laboring and pushing flat on your back or propped at an angle closes your pelvis about 30% more than if you were squatting or on your hands and knees or any other position. Personally, I would opt for movement in labor than induction or dislocation.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• She was not that big, eight pounds. I have a small pelvis and her shoulders were significantly larger than her head (hence shoulder distocia, not a large baby.). I guess I should have said that I am not interested in discussing whether induction is the right choice or not, I have done my research, talked with my dr. and feel good about my choice. i want to hear from moms who have been there, get it, and can answer my QUESTION, not debate my choice. thank you :)
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• your question was answered, sorry that you don't like the answers you received.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009