i need advice from all you pet lovers.

i have 2 cats that my dh wants to get rid of.around here the only way is to surrender.and they put it to sleep(over crowded shelters in philly).well their my babies too and i just cant.but i no longer can deal with having a ripped up smelly un sanitary home where my ds cant crawl without blankets on the floor.i cant afford to fix them.one is 9 now we adopted her from a shelter when she was 3. still has nails (but fixed already)and ruined my rugs,chairs,sofa even legs on my kitchen table(ouch)despite me buying sratch pads and post with cat nip. the other is 6 now and goes in heat and sprays everytime my ds's track in strays smell on their shoes(lots of strays in philly)she sprays EVERYWHERE the stray smell is.cries horribly when she doese this.its not all the time but a few times a month.again i cant afford to fix her and the vet even told me bc of her age it would be even more money.i want new carpets and and furniture!!!-cry

ALLSPORTMOM

Asked by ALLSPORTMOM at 1:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pets

• I am terribly sorry. It sounds like a very bad situation, not the fault of the cats, they are just acting naturally. But I see no alternative... have you tried finding new homes for them? I just can hardly say it, but maybe they should be surrendered. as painful as that is to think of. Are they killed humanely- painlessly- would be something to ask. There are organizations that will help with the cost of fixing them.. have you checked into these- google it online?

Answer by Bmat at 1:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Sounds like an easy answer. You can't afford to have a pet. You could post signs or ads and see what response you get, but even then, you don't really know the strainger that will take the cat.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• maybe try to run a ad in the local paper people always look for older cats atleast i do they are like children everyone looks for kittens i love grow cats myself try that and if it doesnt work then i would take them i mean if you cant afford to take care of them that is what i would do.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• try morris animal refuge on 12th and lombard. i got my cat there who was a philly stray. they will spay or neuter and take of the shots etc. or you could advertise them on craigslist philadelphia. or if you want to keep them, try a shelter that offers discounted spay and neutering programs. there are plenty in south jersey and philly and the surrounding suburbs.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 1:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• this link www.neuterscooter.com can get them fixed for $40.00 they have a clinic that goes to Ohio if it is close to you, I m in oregon so Im not really sure about your area. also contact pet adopton centers they are willing to take cats and find foster homes also you list them on www.petfinder.com people who are looking check that site quite a bit.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• your absolutly right i cant afford them.not to mediclaly anyway(declaw-fix).ok there are answers for the one bit what about the other.the nail issue?i am such a terrible pet owner-i feel so bad even thinking of putting to sleep.for something like u said is natural.and who would want a peeing,and sratching maniac cats!? they are so damn loveable though.my Emily the spraying one follows me everywhere and is more of a personal cat.she loves me like her mommy.never wants to part from me!the other loves my oldest son to death.sratched the hell out of his bedroom door to always get close to him!!! cry,cry,cry
    ALLSPORTMOM

Answer by ALLSPORTMOM at 2:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Try to rehome them on Craigslist or Petfinder.com.

Next time you want a pet make sure you can be fully responsible for it in every way! Good luck.
    Anonymous

• there are plenty of programs supposedly anyway but every one i called so far theres a lonnnnng waiting list or they stopped doing it awhile until it slwas down at the clinic.well its almost sring and thats IN HEAT SEASON unfortunitly for me.i am running out of options my dh wants to either move or get new carpets where were at but he is fed up with them and he says he refuses to spend the 3something it will cost total to get both done fixed\declawed \blood work\pain meds and thats not even a gurantee she will stop spraying!its crazy i know i shouldnt of waited so long!!! but the $$$ was always an issue and my dh is not the easiest to get it from and i' m a SAHM.sorry for the rant but it helps me to talk\write about it.
    ALLSPORTMOM

Answer by ALLSPORTMOM at 2:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• the other option is make them out door cats, my male who is not fixed has stopped being bad in the house because he can go outside and do his thing, but if you have only girls then your risking pregnancy if your neighbors cats are not fixed.

just an FYI to get rid of the cat smell use vinegar, baking soda and some dish detergent with a little bit of water it is amazing! catpets beds, furniture wood floors etc.

I do the same thing for loads of laundry for anything stinky and i just use laundry soap instead of dish soap.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You CAN afford to fix them. Look up "Planned Pethood" for a shelter near you. They work on a sliding scale. I got my cat fixed for $20.

As for the clawing- train them to stop. Tape aluminum foil over all the surfaces they love to claw. Cats HATE foil. They hate the feel of it on their feet. They'll stop clawing before you know it. Or, you can mix peppermint, clove, or lemon oil with water in a squirt bottle, and spray down the areas you want your cats to stay away from. They hate the smell.
    For over-stressed cats, visit this website:
    www.onlynaturalpetstore.com, and look into phero-soothe, and relaxi-herb- they work like a dream come true.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009