When a friend gets an abortion....

One of my friends at school is getting an abortion because the couple feels that thier parents would be unsupportive of the pregnancy. She is 6 months along and I am STRONGLY against abortion. I dont even want to be decent to this person anymore! What should I do?!

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not sure what state you live in but abortion at 6 months is not legal in the 5 states surrounding me.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I know we are not supposed to judge but I have found it impossible to maintain friendships with people who have had abortions - I just cant be friends with a murderer
    Anonymous

• When I was in high school one of my best friends who was younger than me got pregnant and didn't want the baby either. She was only 11 weeks when she had it done, but I supported her in her decision because she was my best friend and I wanted to be there for her. I am really in the middle about abortion but I have been brought up as a Catholic so my religion says that they are against abortion. I think that if she is a good friend, that you should be behind her in her decision. Is something like this a reason to through away a friendship? It's your call.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If the couple feels ready to have a child and do what is necessary to support the child, than that's all there is to it. Why do they need the parents support? Why not give the baby up for adoption if that is the case?
    And why don't you want to be decent to these people? Did they make a mistake? Were you okay with them having sex, just not okay with them getting pregnant? Not sure why you wouldn't be loving and kind to a person in need of emotional support. But then again, I don't know you!!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would have a very hard time maintaining a friendship with someone who would abort a baby at 6 months. Babies are viable at 6 months. So, basically, she wants to murder a viable child. I don't agree with abortion at any point in a pregnancy BUT I would have a much easier time not passing judgement on someone who chose to abort at 6 weeks versus 6 months - though, i admit, it would be hard for me either way.
    JocelynR30

Answer by JocelynR30 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think if you are a true friend you would be their for her no matter what her choice is. Its not your body and i understand that shes pretty far along and her baby could survive if born now but its still not your body. You have to ask yourself what kind of friend you truly are? Also im not sure what state you live in but im pretty sure abortion that far along isnt legal. Maybe she should look into adoption.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• At six months, how can her family not already be aware she is pregnant? I am all for a woman's right to choose, but late term abortion is down right aweful. At this point, she is close to delivery, I would hope there would be someone who could convince her to carry to term and give it up for adoption if she isn't ready to be a mother. By the way, abortions in the third trimester like this are illegal in 36 states. Check your states requirements. She might not be able to get her abortion even if she wants it.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Im not sure how Id feel if she was 6 mths along, if its even legal at that point. I think Id try and talk her out of it frankly.

I had a friend who had 2 abortions while I knew her. One was for medical reasons and was so early she didnt even know she was pregnant yet and the other was cuz she was foolish in her protection use. She aborted early then too. I didnt talk about it or ask about it but did go with her that evening to do some shopping,etc. Was still her friend. It didnt effect me even though I disagreed wholeheartedly with her decisions...it wasnt my body nor life nor guilt/stress/etc that would possibly have to be lived with.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If she is 6 months along she would feel the baby move. How can she abort now?! That grieves me! She is obviously not educated enough about what is going on within her body and is running onf fear aand when infear we tend to make irrational mistakes. She needs to know she is loved but that you do not support her decision however you will be there as a friend even tho you disagree.
    To the person who said they could not continue a friendship with someone who is a murderer. Jesus ate with those kinds of people , He loved them! Paul was a murderer and yet he went from Saul to Paul and became one of the most anointed men on earth used to further the Kingdom of Heaven. We can hate what they do but not hate the person and right now this girl needs to know she is loved , loved and loved for she is loved by God no matter what. No He doesnt agree with her choices but still loves her nevertheless. What kind of a Christian ...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• we be if we turned our hearts away from those lost and confused at this time. That is not Love! Blessings :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2009