Can kindergarten classes fill up?

I haven't registered my daughter for kindergarten yet but there is open registration in August. I am just wondering if a school can fill up their classes making it difficult to enroll my kid.

Thanks. First time kindergartner parent. :)

uwtmommy

Asked by uwtmommy at 6:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2012 in

• no- public school has to figure it out. lol. private school can fill up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• Yes I know around here registration is in February-March late registration is in August. Good luck. Hopefully things are not filled up yet.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• I think it depends on where you live. In WA, 1st grade is the first mandatory grade the state has to offer. That gives districts a LOT of leeway on how and when the offer kindergarten.

Call the school your child will be going to and talk with someone.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• Did you miss the notice in the spring?
    If it's too full,you may be sent to another school

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• They can here. If a public elementary school is full for the grade you need, they will enroll them in the nearest elementary school within the district that has an opening. They provide transportation if that's the case.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• Yes and then they go to a different school. I need to register my son next week. I had to get him caught up on his shots.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• Public school can't fill their classes, but they may not get a certain teacher you may want. If the grade has too many kids they may have 25 to a class or maybe even 30. Though in NJ they can't have more than 25 without having another adult in the room. That's when they get all the kids with IEPs in one class so the in-class support aide counts as the second adult and then they can have more than 25.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• In most states, Kindergarten is not mandatory. So it might depend on your state. Other than that, it might depend a few other things. You might not get the time slot you prefer if your school offers half days and not full days. You might not get the school you want if there are many schools in the district that have kindergarten available.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• butterfly,

I didn't miss it I moved and we weren't sure where she would go.
    uwtmommy

Comment by uwtmommy (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2012

• It varies by state. Here in Tx everyone gets a spot from Pre-K -12. Call the school. I saw a post on here not long ago from a lady that didn't get her kid in early enough for kindergarden , and lost the place. I want to say it was in DC, but not sure. She said only first thru 12 public school is guaranteed there.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2012