How often/how much do you feed your 1 year old?

We had read about 1200 calories was about what she should be getting in a day, however, we aren't there. Next week she actually turns 1 and we are going to talk to her doctor at the appointment, but until, we wanted to see what real moms did. Thanks

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our boys ate breakfast, lunch and supper when we ate, and they ate what we ate. I just gave them about 1/4 portions. They also had a 3 snacks...mid morning, mid afternoon and about 1 1/2 hours before bed.

I never counted calories. I offered a balanced, varied diet and when they were full, they stopped eating.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm still nursing my son who is 13 months old. He hardly eats any food, we try but he takes a couple of bites and he's done. He nurses usually between 2 and 4 hours
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i never counted calories. My daughter is getting big breakfast, lunch and dinner. Usually healthy stuff and homemade foods. no fast food or sweet stuff. no greasy shit or anything like that.
    for snacks she gets fruits/veggies and yes, sometimes cookies or cake.

i dont think i would have enough time to count calories. im not in a weight watchers program. im a mother with a healthy daughter that loves to eat, no matter what i cook. :))
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• breakfast when awake, snak about ten, lunch midday, snak about 3 and final meal b4 bedtime. lots of small meals is better than one or two big meals. tat goes for all.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• well i think that thirteen months is still a little old to be nursing you should try solids more often hon. to OP my daughter is fifteen months and eats three times a day. and snacks in between i dont count calories she is doing just fine.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I dont count calories- my son eats a total of probably.. 6-8 jars of baby food a day- 2 8 oz sippy cups of formula and a gets juice throughout the day. he's 10 months.
    i agree jodi 13 months is too long. that baby is probably starving for solids
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I don't count them but 3 meals a day and then 2-3 snacks usually. Sometimes more or less, depending on her mood.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i feed my child when ever he is hungry i just make sure to feed him healthy things as well as small portions and he is just as halthy as can be but generally he eats 4 to 6 times a day. and has 16 ounces milk 8 ounces juice and ther rest of the day water. he has actually been pretty good at understandiing when he is full. they say babies can judge fullness pretty early on.
    Anonymous

• Your baby is usually the best way to know. They will tell you if they're hungry, when they're full, when they are mad at you, etc. :0) Kids vary--a LOT--so your friends' kids may have way different appetites than your child does. Just make sure that most of the food, especially breakfast, is very nutritious and well-rounded. Use dessert sparingly at lunch, if at all, and try to get it from the health food store. The less food is processed (and other bad things), the better it is for your child, and the more satisfying meals will be.
    goldenruler

Answer by goldenruler at 5:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• 13 months is NOT too old to be breastfeeding. STFU bitches, us breastfeeding moms don't tell you how to take care of your child...so don't tell us how to raise ours.
    Anonymous