i want to get pregnant again after i give birth how long should a woman wait?

just want to have a faimly before i get to old.......

Asked by heidianna at 6:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• From what I understand you should wait at least a year, trying any sooner gives you a higher risk of miscarriage. Your body needs to have a chance to fully recover.

Answer by AmyC2786 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• at least a year

Answer by vakatia at 6:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My children are 9 months to 3 years apart. The ones that are 15 months apart seemed to be easiest and are still the closest to each other.

Answer by nana44 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would say at least a year. I had kids 23 months apart and 19 months apart. Even with them spread that much apart my body did take a beaten and I am just now back up to a healthy weight. My babies were all VERY healthy tho. But it seemed with each pregnancy I was getting more worn down. I would think if you got pregnant when you last child was like 18-20 months old that would be good timeing as long as your body was feeling up to it.

Answer by MommyMel03 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I got pregnant around two years after my daughter was born and 9 months after my son was

Answer by TwistedMama27 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• 2 of my 4 kids are 12 months & 12 days a part. IMO ... that was really hard on my body. It was the only time I had PPD. I think your body really needs a significant amount of time to recoop after having a baby. Everyone is different tho. Ask your doctor.

Answer by mom2aliltater at 7:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Six months is the minimum time your body needs to recover, but your baby should be breastfed for no less than 1-2 years and getting pregnant can interfere with that, so it's best to wait a minimum of a year to make sure that no breast milk is lost in the first year, when it's vitally important.

Answer by Xakana at 7:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It also depends on if your last child was natural delivery or c-section. For c-section they recommend 18 months so your stomach as a chance to fully heal. A year seems reasonable for natural delivery as it's a lot to put your body through.

Answer by jenbabs at 7:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Everything that I have read says 18 months BUT I personally wouldn't risk it before 2 years since that's W.H.O.'s minimum recommendation for breastfeeding.

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Hi I was told that I should wait a year before trying for another. But I got pregnant by accedent in April when our baby was 4 months old now shes 6 months old I just found out I was pregnant last friday. I wish I hadn't gotten pregnant this soon my body is really aching bad. Me and my husband are excited about having another baby but this is a big surprise for us because we were planing on getting pregnant when our baby girl was 3 years old but insted she was 4 months old. I would say don't try to get pregnant til at lest a year after dilivery!!!

Answer by Fiammetta07Anma at 11:34 AM on Jun. 20, 2008