Will it ever be the child's fault?

If a child smokes pot we can now blame Michael Phelps and if your teenager becomes a Democrat it can be blamed on professors. If your child makes unwise parenting choices you can blame the "lady with the 14 children." If your child does poorly in school you can blame the fact that you had to send them to a public school for whatever reason. If your child gets involved in dog fighting you can blame Micheal Vick. If your child gets a blow job you can blame Clinton and so on and so on. So, my question is, when does it become the CHILD'S fault and not a celebrity's or the media's?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 2:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• First- we have let ourselves become inactive parents. We expect everyone else-media, celebrities, Disney, noggin, etc to teach our child wrong from right so when they make a bad decision(as every child does) we can blame everyone else and not feel that it was our fault.

Second- We don't teach our children how to think for themselves. We tell them what to do, rather that letting them make there own decisions. We started small with my DD, let her pick out what she wanted for breakfast, what shirt she wanted to wear, etc. She's only 2 and has better decision making skills than many teens. Parents have to become involved again in there child's lives.

P.S. I couldn't have it said it better myself OP!!!
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• when does it become the parents fault for not educating them and parentling them more?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• When their parents aren't morons.
    Anonymous

• who is the moron here anon?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• The fault should always fall on the person who did whatever they did. It's always easier to blame others.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree with jodi. When does the parent just look in the mirror and ask, "What did I do wrong here?" That's not to say that a parent can control every single decision their child makes because regardless of our best efforts to educate our children there will always come a time when they are just going to do what they want to do. However, as a parent, you should always consider that you are your child's first example so the first question should be, "What could I have done to prevent this?"
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 2:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Meaning only moron parents pass off their childs faults onto someone else. If my kids effs up, it's his fault.
    Anonymous

• yea he is partially to blame but parents these days dont parent like they should.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We live in a society where no one takes responsibility for their own lives. I was beaten, raped and molested as a child. I am a great mom and have done well in life. I made a choice to be a survior and not let my past rule my future. Many don't do that. They do something bad they blame TV, their parents, someone who molested or beat them. If someone does drugs it is because they are weak minded. Who cares what that half wit Michael Phelps is doing? We all make choices some of us accept responsibility for our own lives many more do not.

Anonymous

• I do not always agree with blaming the parent(s) either. My mother raised myself, my sister and my brother in the same manner(not financially as I had the benefit there being born 10years after my sister)morally and my brother is a junkie and I had a child by a man whom I had a one night stand with(although his family and I are close now, still not a good plan) and my sister is with her husband for 12 years(?) and has all of her children by the same man. Does not smoke, is hardly even a social drinker, has never had a problem with drugs, is good to our mother, a great mother, and before becoming a SAHM had one of the greatest work ethics of anyone I have ever met. She is as close to the "perfect child" as a parent could dream and just b/c I made mistakes I am doing fine as well, so do I blame my mother for my brother being a junkie? NO, I BLAME HIM.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2009