Catholic Word of The Day - Reconciliation

The sacrament of Penance - Why do Catholics confess to a priest? The Church believes that sin is a community transgression, it lessens the strength of the whole. A priest is a representative of the community in that confessional as well as the representative of God.
“In imparting to his apostles his own power to forgive sins the Lord also gives them the authority to reconcile sinners with the Church” (CCC 1444).

Biblical backup?
Thus, the crowds who witnessed this new power "glorified God, who had given such authority to men" (Matt. 9:8; note the plural "men"). After his resurrection, Jesus passed on his mission to forgive sins to his ministers, telling them, "As the Father has sent me, even so I send you. . . . Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (John 20:21–23).

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 9:34 AM on Jul. 28, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• that was never explained so simply before..thanks! in a sense, its no different than bearing each other's burdens..sort of like when i call one of my church-gals and 'talk' (confess) a screw-up and we talk about coming back to a good place in forgiveness/wholeness with God, pray about it..kwim?

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2012

• Isn't it wonderful to have friends who understand what you need? I have a friend who we discuss our souls and our difficulties and our weaknesses and pray for each other. I always walk away from my time with her, feeling more holy
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2012

• yes..but i usually walk away thankful that i've got someone in my corner who took what i said/did and rather than judge me, loved me enough to be truthful, as Christ would.
    :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2012