how soon is too soon to start potty training?

supermom8907

Asked by supermom8907 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm thinking newborn might be a little early...LOL

I don't really think there is a "too early" but it might take longer if you start earlier. I only have my kids and my brother's kids to compare....ex-sil started as soon as they were a year and was still fighting them on the potty a year later. I waited until closer to 3 and it took 2-4 weeks. (so far...still have my youngest to train lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I agree. It all depends on the parents and the child. We started at 14 months and it worked for us. It was a lot of work for me and DH.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• before they can make it though the nite w/o wetting a diaper...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yep. There really is no too early.
    But be aware, no matter how young the baby is when you start, you will be done at the same age. If your child will be fully able and WILLING to take over all of her "potty duties" at 36 months then you can start at 12 months and work on it for 2 years or you can start on it when she shows most of the readiness signs and work on it for 2 months. So it really comes down to how much time, effort, and frustration you want to put into it.

What are the signs?
    Extreme interest in other people using the potty.
    Hiding when she has to go.
    Going 3 hours or more between wet diapers.

What are NOT signs?
    Asking for a clean diaper. Even a newborn will let you know they need a change.
    Going all night with a dry diaper. 20% of 5 year olds wet the bed but are fully potty trained. The dry diaper at night does count towards the 3 hours or more between wet diapers though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2009