Did your insurance pay for a breast pump?

How did you get your insurance to pay for a breast pump? I've read that you need to have a medical reason, like the baby cannot breast feed due to some illness or medical problem. If you did, what was the reason you gave insurance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't find out. Since my mother works for Medela she bought me one from them. But I've heard that some insurance companys do pay for them or at least half of the cost of one. But not all insurances pay.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 2:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If you have a midwife ask her where you can rent one. because thats what my midwife did. She had tons of them and gave them to her mommies who need them :).. for free of course. and she also took care of the professional cleaning whenever u didnt need them anymore.

you could also ask your OB.

good luck
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I got one through WIC, so I'd check there. My friend did get one from the hospital, since she was low income it only cost like $100, which is cheaper than buying one for like $300. If you have MA they might be even less. I would also contact La Leche Legue to see if they know of anyone else in your area.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my doctor ordered mine for me and had it sent to my house.
    Anonymous

• look in too wic or also look at web sites like freecycle.org or craigslist people will help you out with a free on there i ended up with too from freecycle so this way i can have one at home and then one kept in the car for when we have too go out
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 7:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009