Would you disown your child if he/she turned out to be gay?

I know I wouldn't. I'll support her and be there for her no matter what. I just hope she will still want to wear a wedding gown on her wedding day, regardless if she marries a man or a woman.

But I just saw a quote on FB the other day that said:

"I don't understand why people think that having a gay child means they failed as a parent. Disowning your child for being gay means you failed as a parent."

I don't understand the parents who disown their gay children. I really don't. How does that help? Do they think if they disown their child, the gay will go away?

uwtmommy

Asked by uwtmommy at 4:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• No i would never disown my child.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 4:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• I wouldn't. My kids are who they are and each is unique. As long as there are grand somethings (kids, puppies, iguanas) I'm good.
    Right now my 7 yr. old has 2 of his BFFs "fighting" over who gets to marry him. One a boy, the other a girl. I think it's sweet because they both truly love him for who he is.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• I have never understood this either and I have seen that scenario more times than I care to remember. My eldest daughter is gay and she got married to her life partner but she did not wear a wedding gown! The gown really doesn't mean much in the scheme of things, only their well being and their happiness.... These type of parents are looking out for themselves, they don't want to deal with reality and their faith takes precedence over anything or anyone which is a very sad statement.

Answer by older at 4:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• I don't understand that either & no offense but, I wouldn't care what my child will choose to wear on his wedding day (if he decided to marry), either.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• No. It would make me sad for them because its not an easy lifestyle with the ignorance and prejudice everywhere, but I wouldn't disown them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• Not at all.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• my cousin posted that and i don't understand it why the parents would do that. but i actually worked with two guys that were gay and the one told me his family wants nothing to do with him. i worked for the guy for three years and he was the highlight of my day. always able to make you smile and laugh no matter what. we have gays (both sexes) running through both sides of the family so i was raised around it. the kids know about it but because the family lives in different stares they haven't them yet. but i make sure they know it don't matter. what matters is the inside not their beliefs or color, or anything else.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• Of course not. I had trouble conceiving and maintaining a pregnancy. I was put on Progesterone when I became pregnant with DS, and later he had some issues, at about the age of 2 months. I called my ob and asked if the progesterone could account for it, and the nurse read the side effects to me....possible homosexuality was one of them (this was 20 years ago, do NOT freak if you are taking it now)....so for years I wondered. My son is not gay. But I loved him all those years the same way....even when he was wearing a pink tutu in daycare.....lol....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• No. I would never disown my kids. I would be a little sad thinking about the road ahead of them, and thankful for all of those that have gone public because as much as homosexuality isn't accepted in this day and age, it's better than it was 20+ years ago. I will always support my kids.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• It would take a HELL of a lot for me to disown my kids. Being gay is hardly something to get all twisted up over.
    I feel like parents who are like that are incredibly selfish.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2012