My soon to be 14-month-old won't drink milk!

My daughter was put on Enfamil Nutramigen because at 1 week old she had blood in her stool, later found out she has a milk protein allergy. Her doctor told me to try milk and see if she has grown out of the "milk protein stage". So i've tried it and she broke out around her mouth and had diarrhea. I've been trying every month because that is what he has told me to do. At this point, I don't believe anything he's saying. I've tried vanilla soy milk, she tastes it and spits it back out.  I also tried Almond Milk (she loved the dark chocolate almod milk but not the regular). I don't know what other "milk" to give her and how to make sure she likes it. HelP!

Margarita R.

Asked by Margarita R. at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She doesn't need milk. My oldest 3 didn't drink it because they didn't like the taste. Not a big deal, really. Can she eat yogurt, cheese, etc. to get her dairy quota in? That's all that really matters is that she gets some form of calcium, doesn't have to come from milk. She can drink water.

Answer by missanc at 4:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• I would find another doc who can really help with her allergy. Probably an allergist. I know my experience is limited, but I have not met a child in daycare who "out grew" a true milk protein allergy. To keep exposing her to it doesn't make sense to me. And if it is true milk protein allergy, she probably should NOT have yogurt/cheese etc either. Good luck and hugs to you both!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• she can't have any cheese or yogurt
    Margarita R.

Comment by Margarita R. (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• If no dairy, then you can go with leafy greens, sesame seeds, flax seed, quinoa, black strap molasses, etc. You also need to find a good source of fats since most toddlers get a lot of their fat from whole milk. But your pediatrician should be able either to help you or direct you to a nutritionist/dietician that can help you. If he won't help, find a new dr!

Answer by missanc at 6:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• She doesn't NEED milk. Lots of other places to get calcium. Including orange juice and vitamin supplements. Besides as my DD would tell you " Cow's milk is for baby cows, which I am not. "
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• Have you tried to mix it with her formula? I couldn't get my child to just drink milk. I did 80/20 formula to milk for a day or 2, then 60/40, then 50/50, then 40/60, 20/80, and then all milk and she was good. Can you try that with the almond milk?
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2012

• I've tried mixing her formula with the almond milk. She sips it and throws the bottle. I tried watering it down a little bit to taste like her formula but she doesnt take to it. I bought rice milk today and tried it and she wont have any of that either. Im at a point where im going crazy because I refuse to give her anymore formula.
    Margarita R.

Comment by Margarita R. (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• why do you refuse to give her formula? I would keep giving it to her as long as she drinks it, especially if she can't have or does not like anything else.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 7:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• I forgot to add that my DD is 20 months and I am still giving her formula to drink in the mornings. It is extra nutrition and you can't go wrong with that.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 7:46 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• There is hemp milk, almond, rice soy. What about goat milk? I know that humans realy dont need cow or goat milk, but I know some kids who are intolerant of cows do well with goat. I love the vanilla soy! yum!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 4, 2012