Should I spend my life saving?

I've finally decided that I'm not happy with where I am in life. Most of it has to do with where I live. I do LOVE this city and think I would miss it, but I've been here way too long and I'm ready to move on. Plus, I have no family here and I'd like to move closer to them. On top of all that, I'll never be able to afford to make it on my own here. It's way too expensive. I have $6,000 in savings bonds that I've never spent. I'm thinking of using that money to move across the country and start a new life. But there will be no guarantees. I may not get a good job, and I may not like living there. I may fall flat on my face and end up having to move back here and start all over again, this time with no savings. But I'm not happy here. Is it worth the risk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• What do you do if you aren't happy where you move? It might help to figure out exactly what is making you unhappy before making such a huge move. One thing I have learned personally the hard way is that you can't run from your problems, they come right along for the ride.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• That's what I'm saying. I'm unhappy because I'm living here.
    Anonymous

• Well if you find a job before you move, it won't be such a huge risk.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My sister is doing that right now. She currently lives in NY but at the end of this semester -- She's a professor at a college -- she's moving to New Mexico to start up her own guitar studio. She has no idea how it's going to work out, but she's just doing it. She's not happy here because the area is so small she wouldn't be able to make a living doing what she loves.
    She went to New Mexico in January and talked to people in the area where she wants to live and she absolutely loved it. So in June she's packing up and moving. I'm so excited for her! It's a new chapter of her life and I think it's great she's taking the risk!
    Anonymous

• Why don't you line up some job interviews for the place that you'd like to live, do you have family that's willing to let you stay with them for a short time until you get settled. If so then I'd do it too GL
    Anonymous

• yes it's worth the risk. Go on your new adventure. Find yourself. You know where you are isn't working for you so consider that money the source to help you find your fate. Be the Master of your own destiny and take a chance on change.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would go...nothing in life is certain. It is nice to have family around....usually :) Whats life without a few calculated risks. Look into the job situation before you go and see if you can line something up before you go.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• if you aren't happy, go for it, try searching online to research where you want to live, and for jobs BEFORE you move though, so when you move, you will be set up and ready to go. (also will save you some money by doing it that way, so if you don't like it, you'll have some money put aside that you can add to, to move back home.)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009