How to stop an 18 month old from throwing things!

My 18 month old son has been throwing everything and anything at everyone! It's becoming a big problem as he's even starting to give brusies and fat lips. I'm not sure what to do, I take it away and tell him no that it hurts people all that leads to is him running to his room and getting another to throw. I know that responding to the problem is giving it attention, but leaving this alone does the same thing! PLEASE HELP!! Everything I do he thinks is funny, or crys and two seconds later does it agian!

Justins_Mamma

Asked by Justins_Mamma at 3:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing I can think of is to sit with him alone and say "I wish you wouldnt throw. I love you and it makes me sad when you throw, because it hurts the other kids." Maybe he doesnt respond to you simply saying it hurts them because it doesnt mean as much to him yet. Knowing that it makes you sad, hurt, or disapointed may mean more.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It also may make a difference if you do a time out with him in a corner or empty room every time it happens. "If you cant play nice, you cant play at all yet."
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My grandson does the same thing. What I suggested to my daughter is to use the replacement behavior technique. Get him a Nerf basketball and hoop or some other game that requires you to throw. When he throws objects tell him "no this is not for throwing, then give him the basketball and say, "here throw this." and show him how to aim. Then he'll know what to do with his urge to throw things. Kids respond better to showing rather than telling, especially at such a young age.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009