My poor husband!

About six years ago, when I was seventeen, I found a two week old basset hound in a dumpster, nearly dead, full of fleas and ticks. He was very pitiful. I cleaned him up, nursed him back to health, and named him Sammy. Now, he's a healthy six year old boy, but still small for his breed. He is very sweet and is definitely a momma's boy but he is friendly to everyone. When I met my husband a year later, however, he became jealous and wouldn't have anything to do with him. If we were kissing on the couch, he would jump onto the couch between us and start licking my face, wrapped his leash around his legs, even lifted his leg on his shoes. Since we had no children in either family old young enough to be a ring bearer, my husband had the bright idea to let Sammy be our ring bearer. He carried a silk pouch around his neck with the rings but, during the vows, he howled every time he attempted to say "I do". I finally had to kneel and pet him so that we could finish our vows and when he knelt to "kiss the bride" Sammy decided to kiss me instead. We have been married for about two and a half years and Sammy has warmed up to him since then.

I was worried that he would be jealous, however, when I found out I was pregnant. While I was pregnant, Sammy became very protective of me. He would rest his long ears on my belly and lick me where the baby was resting. She was born on July 22nd and, when we brought her home, I was afraid that Sammy would be jealous of her. When I let the dogs meet her, Sammy sniffed her all over and then licked the top of her head. All five dogs slept in a semi circle around her bassinet and miss no opportunity to sniff her or nuzzle her. I had the baby on my couch, changing her diaper, and Sammy jumped up onto the couch to lay down beside her. I asked my husband to come and get her so that I could take a shower. When my husband reached for her, Sammy growled at him and then scooted closer to the baby, put his front leg around her, and pulled her closer. He won't let him anywhere near the baby and growl at me every time he tries to kiss me. My dog loves the baby but he is back to hating my husband.

Is it bad that I think this if funny? Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Cowgirl_Coyote

Asked by Cowgirl_Coyote at 7:32 AM on Jul. 29, 2012 in Pets

• It sounds sweet and adorable that your dog is so protective of your child...but being that this is the father of the baby and your husband, it isn't. Seems Sammy just allowed your husband to join in the family, but has never allowed him to be the head of the family...good 'ol Sammy needs to learn that he is not the alpha, that your husband is. I don't know much about the Basset Hound breed, but I would do a little research on the best ways to curb this behavior.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:51 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• I use to have a chihuahua/male, named Bob.  He loved me, did the same thing your sammy does.  My DH called him my boy friend.  Mt DH could not sit next to me without Bob jumping up and sitting on my lap.   We never had kids together though.

Answer by louise2 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• I've been sitting here thinking about this and I would have a problem with the dog's reactions. I understand rescued dogs, and this is part of them. However, Sammy can't and should not be that way with the baby and your husband. What if something was wrong with the baby, seriously wrong, and the dog would not let your husband near? It does sound cute, but it also needs to be fixed.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• If I were you, I'd call your vet or dog warden for referrals to training classes. Then your husb. needs to take the dog to those classes!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• Sammy was fine with my husband until Abby was born. All of the dogs are protective of her. A neighbor came to the door, asking us if we had seen his runaway dog and, as soon as my husband opened the door, all five dogs stood up and surrounded the baby. I think Sammy is just jealous. He has decided that the baby is his too. I don't know. I hope that he gets over it.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Comment by Cowgirl_Coyote (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• Again, there is a big difference between being protective over a baby with STRANGERS and being protective over a baby with the FATHER. This is not something you can allow to continue...it will not get better by itself.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:21 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• What does your husband think about this? He can't be too thrilled. So sorry, but this is not funny. You have a situation that needs to be resolved.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• He thinks its funny, kind of. He laughs but I think it bugs him a bit. I made Sammy get off the couch and leave him alone. He hasn't been very bad but he's just jealous. He jumps up on my husband when he's holding her and starts messing with the baby.
    Cowgirl_Coyote

Comment by Cowgirl_Coyote (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2012

• this is not something you should be laughing at. This is something that needs to be stopped. Sammy is being possessive (also called resource guarding) and needs to know where he stands in the pack. I would stop letting him on the sofa and make him work for everything from now on. you might even keep a leash on him so that if he does get on the sofa your husband can easily get him off. you might also want to get the book MINE! Resource guarding in dogs by Jean Donaldson. You can find it on Amazon.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• You have a situation that needs to be resolved. something that needs to be stopped.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2012