Can amoxicillin make your tot hyper?

My son has a sinus infection and has been taking amoxicillin for a few days. I have noticed that he his happier and it is clearing up the infection, but he appears to be very wound up. He seems to be having a lot of melt downs and is taking a long time to soothe at nap. I was just wondering if that could have anything to do with the medicine. Any ideas????

mazonmom

Asked by mazonmom at 3:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have heard many parents report changes in their child's mood/behavior when on antibiotics. Usually it's with children who are already susceptible to things, like a child with ADHD or on the autism spectrum. I assume though any person/child could be affected.

I have no idea why or if there is any science behind this, but you are not the first person I heard say this.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• no but i think it is making you hyper. you keep repeating yourself lol
    Anonymous

• There isn't anything in it to cause him to be more hyper. Probably just still feels sick... melt downs and long time to soothe sounds like he is overtired... probably realated his being sick.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• With messed up environment many kids are affected by many meds! My son was a flipping mess when he was on singular I called company they wanted us to fill out a report.
    And many meds affect many in other ways. I can't take Tylenol pm it makes me hyper! Valum lord that makes me hyper. Benedril HYPER!
    thespookyone

Answer by thespookyone at 5:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2012