The silliest thing ever...

My DH works in the oil field, & sometimes when his shift starts he has to be at work @ 2am. Instead of driving the 90mi to his job @ wee hours of the a.m., DH will stay over @ a friend's house. B & C are newlywed as well, have 2 children, & have become relatively close friends of ours. This last sleepover has caused a ruckus. Our DHs make GREAT money, $3500/2wks, min. They got pd on 1/23, & on 1/25 I started getting txt msgs saying, "Could u have ur DH bring back B's phone charger? He grabbed the wrong one."

My DH never left w/ any charger, in fact he left his @ their house & had to buy 1 himself. My DH has since stressed to B&C he does NOT have the charger.

C is super concerned about getting the charger back b/c she spent their last $20 on a new one, and had to borrow $$ from her mom to buy diapers.

We don't have the charger. They don't prioritize. My guess he lost it. Should I just give her the $ for a new one?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 3:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Why don't you just tell 'C' that you personally have gone through all of your DH's stuff and there is no phone charger so you guys DO NOT have it and you have no idea what happened to it, and if you already have told 'C' that then maybe its time to just have you DH start coming home instead of staying over there
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• She won't shut up about it, & doesn't get the message that WE DON'T HAVE THE CHARGER. And the messages get more and more threatening, the latest, "I need you to answer me. I need to give my moms $ back she let us borrow and in order to do so I need to return the one we HAD to buy. So I wud appreciate it if you cud just give the thing back we only have 2 wks b4 we can't return it. This is rediculous we just need the stupid charger."

and to be honest, it's pissing me off.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It's petty, it's stupid, and I don't understand why they're going to let this cause a fight between us...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• To get them off your back. Yes give them the $$$$. And tell them to drop the issue. Nicely

Answer by louise2 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I mean, they're not going to be able to return the charger anyway because we don't have the one B lost...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would give them the $ call it a charge for him staying at their house. I mean if you have it just keep the peace I would give it to them.
    kristie190

Answer by kristie190 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would have to give them the money just to shut them up. Although - I would REALLY stress that you do not have the charger. Chalk it up as a loss & be done with it.
    Good luck!
    bduckett0723

Answer by bduckett0723 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would give them the money if you have it. That is not worth loosing a friend over.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Don't give them the money, buy them a new charger. This way there will be no doubt that it is the charger and not money that they want. Since your husband stays there you don't want to make a big thing about it even though you know you don't have it. So present it with a smile and say that you are sorry that theirs got lost but that you saw this one when you were shopping the other day and got it for them. Also be sure that you and your husband are doing something for them in exchange for his staying over. Give them a nice sized gift certificate to a store you know they use or like, or take them out for a nice dinner that you pay for, something to reimburse them.

Answer by Bmat at 4:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Agree x2 w/Bmat.
    Anonymous