For sahms.... how do you deal with the change??

I am in such a slump... I am a sahm of 3 and have always been very active. When the kids were little we moms were invaluable... we needed to be at all activites. And I had a very healthy social life. I was happy, busy, productive.... but not now. Now I have a high schooler, middle schooler, and elementary child... and Im isolated. Im in a slump... I have shut down and no one even seems to have noticed. How do I climb out???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I've been trying to do the same thing for the last couple of years. I think the first thing to do is take a long look at yourself and set some goals of what you want to accomplish. For me, my goal is to go back to school. I am trying to get an RN degree. Maybe your goal is to go back to work, take that first step to update your resume and start looking. Whatever your goals are, put them down on paper so it's more realistic and start thinking and doing what you need to accomplish them. Ask your family for support. You've supported them for years, now it's their turn to be there for you.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Now you have more ime for yourself. Get out and do something you like to do!!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Volunteer at the school that way you are still available when your kids need you but getting out and having adult conversation too.
    Anonymous

• I am a SAHM of 3 children as well. I have 1 in middle school and 2 in elementary school. I think the first thing to do is see if you have a hobby you like. I started a craft business about 5 years ago. it is great because I can work when I want and it keeps me busy. I also volunteer at the school from time to time.

It is hard when you have been home with your kids for a long time because you lose some of yourself in the process. I think you can still be involved with your kids you just need to start relating to them on a different level. Maybe find something that you all like to do and try doing that, like game night for example.

As far as a social life I think maybe you could try and reconnect with some old friends. I know that for me I started making friends by joining the PTO. Now I go out once or twice a month with the moms that I have become friends with.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i can only imagine what it must feel like to feel so isolated!
    wel if i were u i would find a hobbie something your really good at.
    like i keepmyself busy when my kids visit their grandparents. i
    take a yoga and a random dance class, i do the chores and the shopping,
    i come home and find new intreasting meals to make, i manage how to plan
    the family weekend, and when my husband comes back with the kids its just all worth
    it! so since your kids go to school entertain yourself, hang out with friends, dress up
    and do your hair just for the fun of it!and when your family is back under one
    roof talk to them ask them how their day was, what they want to do
    that weekend and what they want 4 dinner tomarrow! enjoy every second of it!
    eli29

Answer by eli29 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm a SAHM with 2 teens. I volunteer with charities that I'm interested in. I do mentoring with other military wives. I volunteer with the school and I chaperone on trips. I'm also involved with their Scout groups. They're still able to have their space because a lot of that work is with the Committees and stuff, so it's not as directly with the youth.

I do a lot of cooking from scratch, and, once we move, I'm wanting to go back to school.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Have you thought about a part time job when the kids are at school...I was a sahm for years...until my youngest went to first grade. It was then my time to do what I liked. Found a PT job that would work around my crazy schedule with getting the kiddos to school and home...dr appts...etc. Nice thing is...I found ADULTS to talk to!!!
    TylersMom323

Answer by TylersMom323 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009