Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I gain weight?

Hi. I have been underweight for my height since I hit puberty. I am 5'8 and about 110lbs. I do not have a eating disorder! But I do suffer from IBS so I figure that doesn't help me. I want to gain weight in a healthy way. We are trying for baby # 2 and my friends say that my recent miscarriage is due to me being ob never mention this as a problem. When i conceived my daughter 3 years ago I weight 118. So what are some things I can do to gain weight?

Answer Question

Asked by mommytobrooke at 4:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Health

Level 14 (1,672 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • First of all, don't listen to your friends. They don't know what they're talking about. I am like you, underweight with eating issues (IBS and other problems). But otherwise I am healthy, and there is no reason I can't have another healthy pregnancy. I'm sure the same is true for you, unless you have other health or fetility problems. Miscarriages happen. Most women experience at least one miscarriage, and many women have repeated miscarriages. It just happens. If you are really concerned about your weight and the affect it has on your healh and fertility, I suggest you talk to your doctor about it. Perhaps you could work with a nutritionist for a short period of time to make some dietary improvements. Or simply keep track of what you eat for a week and look for areas that you could improve with healthier foods.

    Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

  • My first thought is "do your friends have a medical degree"? If not....I'd tend to talk to your OB and listen to him/her.

    As for gaining weight....I kind of wish I had your problem....(only because I have another 30 to drop)...I'm not a nutritionist, and I would recommend speaking with one. My guess would be to eat a healthy diet, but maybe eat a little more. If I remember, there are things you should avoid with IBS? Make sure you stay with what you need to do for that.

    I would speak to your primary care physician and/or a nutritionist.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.