SO DISAPPOINTED in my son (vent & advice seeking) adult content

kids were playing at a friends house less than a block away. The Mom left suddenly, leaving my kids (7 1/2 and 6) home alone with her kids (11 and 7) my kids SHOULD HAVE come home immediately since no adult was present but apparently it slipped their empty little minds. Approx 5 minutes later my son comes up behind me (I was in our yard with a visual on their friends house but I was reading a book) looking like hot death. He'd "succumbed to peer pressure" and eaten a pizza roll. I guess at that house the minute Mom leaves, they microwave some pizza rolls as a quick sneaky snack. My son ate 1/2 of one before his LIFE THREATENING TOMATO ALLERGY made him run home. He's stable, I did all the things I can do for him now, including benadryl and I have the safety cap off the epi pen in case things get ugly. But while I am sitting here watching him claw at his itching skin and drink his 3rd glass of milk trying to put out the burning fire in his mouth while watching tv I cannot help but be SO FUCKING MAD AT HIM. I am so glad he made it home safe but he's going into 2nd grade, how could he be so careless and reckless? He's never done anything like this. Any other reactions he's had has been an adult caregivers fault, never his. He knows better. And now he's in pain and scared and I don't even know what to say to him.. My instinct is to wait to be 100% sure his breathing is perfect and then shake him violently and say A FUCKING PIZZA ROLL ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? WE IMPORT YOUR SPECIAL KETCHUP FROM THE GODDAMN PHILIPPINES AND I AM SO SICK OF WHITE PIZZA I COULD BARF.... how do I stop him from doing this again?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:15 PM on Jul. 29, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Oh, this makes me want to cry for you both. I know that many 7 year olds could handle this situation, but I'd be madder at the friend's mom who left them. I hope you don't have to use the epi. HUGS to you all!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:19 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• I don't know that you can stop it from happening again besides him having to not only go through the pain of the allergy, but from disappointing the people that mean the most to him. I would definitely have a conversation with the other mom and let her know that if she is to leave her kids alone, you would appreciate her sending your kids home before doing so since situations like this can be a serious health threat and his friends wouldn't know what to do if he couldn't make it home.  Sorry you are having to deal with this.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:24 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• I find the bigger problem to be with the mother of the other children, who should have called you to tell you she needed to leave. I'd be laying into her BIG TIME.

As to your son's mistake... he's seven. And seven year old do a lot of things their parents tell them not to. They're still subject to magical thinking, "just once can't hurt."

He's learned a hard hard lesson. Thank goodness it wasn't a harder one!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:28 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• Sorry you are going through this. He is only 7. I would make sure when he has a play date the parents know of his life threatening allergy. Has he ever done this before? Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson. Poor kid.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:30 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• Sorry, mama! Hugs.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 7:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• He's a kid... and kids will make mistakes!! I go rip that mother a new ass hole for leaving my young kids in her home like that. At the very least she should have sent your kids home before leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• I would be madder at the parent who left the house. my brother is 18 and has mushroom allergies, he still doesn't always check to see if things have mushrooms. Children at that age are thinking of other things in life. Like another mom said make sure who ever is watching him knows about his allergies. I wouldn't let him go to that house again because you cannot trust the parent to watch your children. Thank goodness he made it home.
    NaiveDream

Answer by NaiveDream at 7:43 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• Yep I wouldn't be mad at your little one, things like that are going to happen. I would be upset with your neighbor and it would be the last time they went over there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• i'd be so mad at the other parent for leaving them alone, without telling you..but i also bet he's learned a good lesson. he knows about his allergy, i take it?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:45 PM on Jul. 29, 2012

• I am sorry that you and he are having to deal with this. You need to remind him that this is partially his fault b/c of the choice in a snack that he made. I am glad that he came home, but has to learn to understand his allergy and make good decisions for himself.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2012