What would you do?

I went to go pick up my kids from school today and my son's teacher tells me she needs to have alittle talk with me. I am like what now? (to myself).
I just want to make it short (no details)
It turns out he has been using inappropiate language which surprised me I know he aint no saint but he has been starting to hang out with the boys (he is only 7) I have notice a change in him but never like this or so soon. He was grounded this past weekend for moving his folder at school 3 times. Boys will be boys but damn what to do? My dh is really gonna let him have it this time first times were warnings now I don't know and my son knows this....We need to nip it in the bud now!!! Any experience on this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kids know that use of innapproiate words will result with Dawn dish soap on their toothbrush! and they have to brush like they would with toothpaste - teeth, tounge, inside cheeks, and everything, for two whole minutes!

also, i would not let him hang out with the bad influences
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My kids have used innaproprite words a couple of times, the first time I explained to them that there are certain words that kids don't say and just because they hear it from one of their friends it doesn't make it right. and they were given a warning, they did it again and they got their mouths washed out with soap.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• he's seven. what he does and who he spends time with is up to you. if you believe his behavior stems from certain activities or people he's hanging out with, stop it now. he shouldn't be sent outside without supervision, for example, unless it's in his own backyard. monitor and restrict what he's doing, inside and out. and if he's being disciplined, try taking away what is important to him, tv, transformers, game boy... have him earn back his privileges through good behavior and positive reports by the teacher. stay on top of this so he doesn't get out of hand. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 9:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Make him write an apology letter to his teacher. I would also make him write sentences or a paragraph (depending on his writing level) as to why it is not ok to use those words. Also, you can come up with other words to use instead. The sentences have to be positive like "I will use nice words." writing " I won't say bad words" keeps the phrase bad words stuck in his head. Hope this helps.
    I also agree bi-polar mommy remove him from the negative influences. This coul be TV or people.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Its up to you who he hangs out with and who he doesnt. I would encourage kids hanging out at your house. You and your husband need to decide together what the discipline will be for the bad language. I dont think he should be punished horribly if he hears swearing at home all the time. It also needs to be considered that you have noticed a change in his behavior (but he has been starting to hang out with the boys (he is only 7) I have notice a change in him but never like this or so soon.) that perhaps should of been addressed before now.

Remember to fit the punishment with the crime.  Waht lesson will your son learn from this?  How will this punishment benefit him?  How will it help with the trouble he has been in. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009