Am I stuck in PA if I divorce my husband since we have kids (2 & 3) together? Or can I move back to AZ since that's where my family is?

I've thought about divorcing my husband for years but now it's more complicated since we have 2 toddlers. We moved from AZ where my family is, to PA where his family is, while I was pregnant with my second child because we thought we'd have better support from his family while he's out of town 5 days a week. Sorry, long story short...I want to divorce him but can't imagine living here without my family and will not give him custody of our kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Doesn't look like you are stuck. http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/pennsylvania.shtml
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You would have to get full custody or have a joint-custody agreement where he would get the kids during summer or something like that.

You need to ask a lawyer --- most will consult you for free.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i wouldnt say your stuck but you will have to work out some sort of custody agreement. im assuming you will want your children to know their dad and to see their dad.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• you are def. not stuck. My mother has her son in GA and his father lives in NH.
    myboyshero

Answer by myboyshero at 4:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• No one can force you to remain in a state you dont want to live in. Try consulting an attorney. Try www.avvo.com (that is 2 v's not a w) They claim to have free legal advice from real attorneys.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think he has to agree that it's okay for you to move out of state. But I would think that would be discussed during your custody hearings.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• It depends on what state you live in, and the laws that they have there, but I am pretty sure you should be fine I know when I was considering leaving my SO I was also going to go to AZ because thats where my mom lives, but the state I live in (CA) doesn't have any laws keeping me here
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think if you can show it is in the best interest of the children the courts will allow you to move...but the visits are longer and you may have to share expenses. I moved before I divorced my husband. We remained seperated and "working it out" for 3 months. All the while I was living with my parents and establishing residency without him knowing. I got a DL the day after I got here and had to open a bank account and wait out my 90 days. On day 90 I filed and he had to come here for court.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• you are not stuck. It just sucks if you leave bc in some places the kids get to go with the father for the whole summer or if the kids arent school age then its half a year with you and half a year with him. I went through this and I hated it!
    Anonymous

• I got divorced in Wisconsin and he was granted custody of one child and i got custody of my other child and the law there was before the parent could move out of state they needed permission fom the other parent before they could move. However it all depends on the law in PA on divorce.
    drln09

Answer by drln09 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009