breast vs bottle?

Im for breastfeeding simply because its whats best for your baby but im woundering why is it that there are so many mothers who choose to not even try breastfeeding?
I understand if you try and its not for you so you bottle feed but why would you not try?
Is it because you think bottle feeding is easier?
Cause i cant see how its easier you have to get up, warm water up, prepare formula just seems like a pain in the butt to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To each their own.............
    for me it wasnt a choice.
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 4:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i tried to breastfeed when i gave birth to my son. i couldnt get him to latch on and i was exhausted (i hadnt slept in over 24 hours and PUSHED for 3 hours). i was so tired and he needed to be fed so they gave him a bottle. i never tried again after that.
    Anonymous

• i agree, i think breastfeeding is easier and best, but idk... unless you have to do it i dont unerstand it either. formula is expensive also.

to each his own!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Are you trying to start an argument? Although I'm a total breastfeeding advocate....
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Breastfeeders bottle feed, too...quite often we read about breast feeding moms pumping into a bottle.

As far as formula feeding (and I did attempt nursing first) I didn't find it that difficult.

I made a batch of formula ahead of time...enough for the day. I made up all the bottles, too. When the time came for a feeding, I put 2 cups of water in the microwave (in a 4 cup measuring cup) for 2 minutes, then went and picked up the baby. Put the bottle in the water, changed a diaper, and by that time the bottle was ready.

The bottles and nipples were washed with my daily dishes each evening then I made up another batch and filled the bottles.

Seriously...it added about 10 maybe 15 minutes to my day.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i didnt produce enough breastmilk to feed my DD. had to half breast/half bottle feed her.

i dont know why some women wont even try, but its their choice.

i agree though, that breastfeeding is sooo much easier and it made me feel really bad that i couldnt breastfeed my dd the whole time.

but a friend of mine always had problems with her breasts, nipples to be exact so she was totally afraid of getting hurt when breastfeeding, that why she didnt even start it. and i respect that.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• There could be lots of reasons. Many women have seen or heard about someone who had a very painful, difficult experience. Many women are misinformed about breastfeeding and lack information and support. Many women have body issues and intimacy issues (remember that 1 in 4 women have been raped, molested, or sexually assaulted) that may make even the thought of breastfeeding disturbing to the core. So, while I'm all for breastfeeding, there are certainly valid reasons not to.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• not this again.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• im not trying to start a fight im just trying to understand better why some choose to NOT TRY.
    I will be first to say i didnt have the easiest time breastfeeding my son he wasnt latching on right my nipples were cracked and bleeding it was hard by all means i was ready to give up.
    Im not talking about the moms who try and just cant do it, it happens i understand that atleast you tried and thats more then some do.
    I wana know why some just choose to not breastfeed from the very get go.
    I dont think it makes anyone a bad parents for bottlefeeding to each their own.
    Anonymous

• I often wonder the same things.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009