• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my 21 month old to eat more beef? She will eat almost anything, but lately, no beef! help!

tameng

Asked by tameng at 4:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just give her something else. Whenever you make beef give her another opportunity to taste it and maybe someday she'll like it. One way to get children to try foods is not to push them- because then it becomes a contest- but to let them see you enjoying it. If you eat beef and say "Oh yummy! This is great!" She'll want to know what she is missing or join in the fun and she will ask for it.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You know what I had the same problem with my now almost 4 year old. She would not eat meat what so ever. What I did was I kept putting it on her plate she started eating it after a while. Like hamberger I kept putting it on her plate until achually a few months ago she just now started to eat it. I guess she got tired of looking at it lol. Just keep putting it on her plate she will eat it soon or later. Like I said it took my dd almost 4 years to eat it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We taste it first and say how good it is. We also try letting him dip new things in like ketchup or ranch stuff he likes. Good luck! Keep trying.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Beef isn't necessary for her health. Will she eat chicken, fish, eggs, cheese? Put a tiny bit on her plate every time you have it and at some point she'll probably have some.

Answer by Bmat at 5:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If she doesnt like it then dont make her "like" it. Give her different meat.

I think there is something you dont like to eat either. and would you still eat it? Dont think so ;)

Maybe she is tired of it. Like i said, give her different meat.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If she eats other foods I wouldn't push the issue. My daughter only eats meat a certain way and for a while wouldn't even eat red meat at all. That was her choice. I don't believe there is any harm in not eating beef. Beef isn't very healthy anyways.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We call everything ham.
    Anonymous

• Just keep putting one or two bites on her plate. Don't substitute it for anything else or she'll start to expect you to become a short order cook and fix her something else for every meal.

We have a standing rule that they have to take one bit per year of age. If it's something new to them, they have to at least touch it to their tongue (on their own before I get attacked for force feeding my kids..they do it on their own!!)

But just keep offering, she'll change her mind at some point. Oh..ketchup! My youngest will eat anything if there is ketchup on the plate!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009