Do you worry other people will not watch your child closely enough?

I just read the post about the man who molested the child in the toy aisle at walmart. This really bugs me because I would never let my children go to an aisle by themselves, but my in laws would. They have very different child rearing ideas then I do, and to be honest my hubby is the only one that I have any respect for. His brothers are a joke. Do you worry about your child's safety and well being when they are out with other people or do you trust them to do a good job? BTW, my son is only 7 months old and he has only gone out with us, but I am worried at some point the in laws are going to be mad we don't let them take our child anywhere.

hilary1122

Asked by hilary1122 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• As a mother, I obviously worry but I do trust others to do a good job. That's not to say I pass my kids off to just anyone but as a single, working mom, I don't have the option of being with them 24/7. The most I can do is express my beliefs and set guidelines for both my children and the person or people watching them. Since I'm lucky enough to have a good support system behind me, those I entrust my kids to honor my wishes, even if they don't agree with them.
    Isa0524

Answer by Isa0524 at 7:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yes I worried about it when mine were young and wouldn't let anyone watch them until the kids could tell me if anyone hurt them or did not feed them, etc. I worry about one of my grandsons. His mom lets him run amuck in stores while she is shopping somewhere else in the store. I hate that.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• This is why I have NEVER hired a babysitter, and I have no intention of ever doing so, and my children are 7 and 5! I simply don't trust anyone--especially teenagers/college students these days--way too irresponsible!

The ONLY people I let watch my children are my husband (of course!) my MIL and SIL. But my MIL and SIL are not allowed to drive them anywhere--unless it was a dire emergency. I do not trust my own mother with them! She let me roam free ALL DAY (especially in the summer) as a child, and I was lucky to never have been put in a compromising position, but knowing what I know now, it could have easily happened!
    Anonymous

• I am the same way and as far as I am concerned I could give a crap less if anyone has a problem with it they are my kids so its my job to protect them and make sure they are being cared for properly (my way really lol) and everyone knows thats how I am too
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• omg.... =0.....WELL I'M ALWAYS THE PARANOID , OVERPROTECTIVE PARENT, A LOT OF PEOPLE BTHINK IT'S TOO MUCH. BUT I HONESTLY CAN SAY THATS ONE OF THE REASONS I HAVENT GONE BACK TO SCHOOL,OR WORK.....BECAUSE I DON'T TRUST ANYONEELSE WITH MY BABIES.... I ALWAYS THINK WHAT IF? THEY HIT THEM MOLEST THEM .... I COULDNNT BARE EVEN TO THINK OF IT....AND AS FAR AS THE IN LAWS GO YOU SHOULDN'T REALLY CARE BECAUSE IT'S YOUR CHILD.... AND YOU MAY NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD HAPPEN WHEN YOU ARE NOT THERE.... SO KEEP BEING THE PROTECTIVE LOVING MOM THAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN WITH OUT LETTING WHAT PEOPLE MAY THINK OR SAY =)
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 5:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Yeah I worry all the time. My kids are 8 and 5. When they were younger my mother used to put them in the front see with no seatbelt or carseat. I was pissed about it. I threatened to call the cops on her when she leaves my house and all she says is no you wont. Well funny thing is, a few days later someone else called the cops on my mother and she was fined. She still does it till this day but the kids go with her like once a week. and usually my kids tell her that they are sitting in the back in their seats and belts..LOL I would express my feeling to them if they dont like it then dont let them go with them at all
    Anonymous

• My 10mo son has never been with anyone but DH or I. We are both paranoid even about family members. MIL and a cousin both have tried to feed him food he's not able to eat, and MIL bought him a toy for Christmas with major choking hazards. NO WAY I'm leaving my baby with these folks. I don't care if DH is fine, and DH totally supports me.
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 6:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• yes I worry about it, but when I leave my daughter with someone, I make sure they know how I feel about certain things.. basically I lay down the law.. if they break it, they don't get to take her. Simple as that, and I make sure they know that as well. My parents and family respect me for it, so I haven't had a problem with my family.. but her nana (DD's father's mom)... is another story.. she doesn't get my daughter over night, etc.. she can come and see her anytime she wants.. but not by herself.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2009