Church donations.

I had a friend that asked me what church I went to and it started a conversation that really surprised me. We live in Alabama and I am curious if this happens everywhere. She said that two of the churches she tried going to asked for her W-2's and she was going to have to donate a certain amount of her earnings in order to go there. Has this happened to anyone else. I think that is insane. Don't get me wrong I donate what I can. But having to provide W-2's to your church. Wow was all I could say. Anyone else experience this?

RelaxedMom2-3

Asked by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:33 AM on Jul. 30, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, never happened to me, but here's a bump
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:42 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I'm Jewish and we don't have to do that to be a member of our synagogue. I think some Christian churches, like the Mormons and Fundamentalist Christians.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• i have never heard of such a thing..gone to church all my life, been member of several over the years (due to moving, etc). never has one asked to see my budget or pay-stubs or taxes.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• At my local synagogue they just had a flat fee- about one months rent for college students and the fee went up based on family size.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:46 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• My dad was a deacon at one church. During a deacon's meeting, they basically told him he wasn't donating enough money. He resigned as deacon shortly after and left that church. That church cared nothing about the people, just the numbers.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:53 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I'm Southern Baptist and have never heard of that. The only person that knows who contributes what is the person that does the books and she keeps that info quiet. Not even our pastor knows who gives what. There's no way I would turn over my W2's!

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Wow. Invasive. No, I haven't ever heard of that, and no, I would not find that acceptable.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:44 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I would take that as they are clearly more interested in your money than you joining. Run!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• no way! where in alabama do you live (county)? i live in st.clair county and have never heard of anything like that. what church is it?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• josiesmommy- The two churches that she was talking about is in Lauderdale County.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Comment by RelaxedMom2-3 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2012