Using "Nazi" as a descriptive word

I often see people using the word "Nazi" to describe breast feeding advocates, natural birth advocates, and people who a sticklers for grammar, to name a few.

Given the history behind this word, how do you feel about its use in this manner?

katiemomNY

Asked by katiemomNY at 11:52 AM on Jul. 30, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• While I do understand why people use the word when they come across someone who is almost fanatical about teaching/sharing their view on something or the proper use of something, it is over-used. For many years one only heard the word when WWll was being discussed, these days however, it's usage is becoming fairly common. Often when the usage of a word becomes common, it's original meaning eventually becomes obscure if not down right forgotten. IMO the fairly common use of the word Nazi we see today, diminishes the very real horrors of Nazi Germany and that's something we should not allow to become a "footnote" in history, especially since there are those who are so very insistent that the holocaust never happened.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:19 AM on Aug. 2, 2012

• Sometimes Politcal Correctnessis a load of crap.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:17 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I honestly don't give it much thought. I don't use it myself, but I know the difference between Nazi's in Germany and how other people use the word to describe the level of enthusiasm and commitment that some have about certain subjects.  When someone uses that word, I am smart enough to know that they aren't really saying that those people are Nazi's.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:59 AM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Nazis did more than try to exterminate one race of people, they hated more than one type of people,Nazis also hated people with flaws (phy and mental) they did unspeakable experiments on such people...thinking why Nazi is used with grammar, spelling errors Nazis also were very fired up to burn books that they saw as not fitting their ideal society- they are fanatics about not allowing freedom of speech and even thought- that is why i use Nazi when describing people (mainly the admin) who poof questions and/or answers comments that are not calling out members and calling them out rudely with names, just admin restricting freedom of expression agree with Quinn, i know the term Nazi is referring to a person that is fanatical about something that should not be

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• ^^^ Agree with QM
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:05 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I don't really care. They are using it to describe a person with an militant attitude about their own ideology. In my opinion, words/labels only have as much power as you give them.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Agree with Meooma.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:33 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I hate breastfeeding nazis.
    their silly little mustaches tickle, and they are undeserving of breast milk.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• It show the speakers ignirance, I you understand wha a nazi izis or statds for, to use it as a discripion id igniratnt
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Thanks meooma... that would get a best answer from me!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:23 PM on Jul. 30, 2012