What do Mormons think about Big Love?

I love the show Big Love and I was just wondering what Mormons thought about it? (I'm Agnostic) Do you think its a accurate presentation of polygamy outside of a "compound"? (and lets not consider all the things we know are sensationalized for the ratings...) Is there really such animosity between Mormons who don't practice polygamy and those who do? Just a curiosity question.

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• LDS members do think that current polygamists give us a bad name. Some think that we ALL practice polygamy and don't realize that actual "Mormons" stopped the practice forever ago. We don't want to be grouped with them, so that does bother us.

Am I offended that it brings light to polygamy or the fact that we once practiced it? No, not at all. My grandmother was the result of polygamy. (her father was still practicing after it was made illegal) It's an interesting subject in LDS history. Originally there were "legitamate" reasons. I know that sounds crazy, but there were reasons it happened.

Since I haven't seen Big Love yet, I can't really comment on the portrayal of the church on that show. I am not offended by much though. We are mocked quite a bit. You just gotta laugh at the portrayal and usually there is a bit of truth in there somewhere. Take South Park's portrayal of Mormons instance. Hilarious!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Thats a great question. DH and I watch it thru netflix and we love that show. i've wondered the same thing.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I've never watched the show. I don't think that I even get the channel it's broadcast on. I think I'd tune in at least once to see what it was all about though.

I don't know an actual LDS member could comment on how accurate it is because we don't live it. We don't consider the people who DO practice part of our religion. They are considered an entirely different group altogether. Animosity..is that something the show suggests? I don't know if it's so much that as much as it is just not wanting to be grouped with those who do practice.

Is it something from LDS past. Yes. Do we believe it was wrong then. No. Is it wrong now? Yes. That is a whole other conversation. It's a complicated subject!

I personally don't have bad feelings towards these people. I think some of them actually believe they are living the way God wishes. I think others live the life for selfish reasons.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Being LDS (or Mormon, if you prefer), I can tell you that anyone who is currently a member of our church would be kicked out for practicing polygamy.

Other than that, I agree with the previous answer by Nika75. You'd want to ask what polygamists thought of Big Love because they'd be able to give you the answer you are looking to find.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 8:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• OP here- The show does suggest that LDS followers think that the polygamists give the Mormon religion a bad name (because of the polygamy) and therefore does show animosity between the groups. So, yeah, I guess it could be for polygamists Mormons...or it could even be for LDS...maybe i can rephrase it to ask if you are offended by the show as it brings to light polygamy in the Mormon religion (even if not practiced by modern LDS) and how you personally feel your religion is portrayed? Like i said, its mostly just curiosity.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• There was a lady a few weeks ago who was in a plural marriage and was asking about groups for plural marriages. Too bad I don't remember her name. She could probably answer some questions here...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I hate that everyone assumes because I'm LDS that my husband wants/has more than one wife! Modern day LDS are not allowed to practice polygamy without being kicked out of the church. Back in the day, it was done ( so I've been told by leaders) because there were a lot of single women in the church and back in those days a woman needed a man more than women today. Either way, I'm not sharing my man LOL
    BrittBratt

Answer by BrittBratt at 4:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2009