How can someone change a belief?

I mean you either believe or you don't. You can't just chage because you want to and you can't decide one day that "I don't believe this anymore"... I had a mom (you know who you are) tell me that I needed to change my beliefs and follow HER religion as it is the only TRUE religion. **HA!**

I don't see how someone could do that even if they wanted... That's why there are so many religions because we don't all believe the same and you can't force yourself to change beliefs... Am I right or am I wrong?

What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• your right, you can't wake up one day and change your beliefs. It takes time and experiences for that to happen.. and everyone is lead in their own directions. Some paths may be closer than others. But in the end, there is no real proof scientifically to prove a religion (if there was,we would all be one religion). So we are only guided by our feelings, experiences, etc.. Some are guided toward Christianity, some Pagan, some Muslim, some Judaism, some JW, some atheist, some are still decided (agnostic), and so on. There is nothing wrong with any one persons beliefs because you can't prove they are right or wrong. Just be happy they found what they were looking for spiritually, and move on. If you want to share your joy you have experienced in your religion or lack of one, that is okay.. but don't bash someone else, because you don't know why they choose what they choose. It may be a very valid reason.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I just made a journal about this...lol. Tired of the BS!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I think it can be done and often is done. But its a personal decision not for someone else to tell you to do. I think that as you learn more about your beliefs and that of others, your knowledge may change your facts or opinions. So new beleifs form.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Beliefs do change. I know mine have changed over the years, and heck, even over the past few months. We're not born with our beliefs, they are shaped by our experiences. And since life is one long series of experiences, beliefs can be very fluid. This is why people work to convert one another, because sometimes it does indeed work. You can't force a person to change their beliefs, but you sure as heck can try to make a convincing argument (although I do tend to find it really annoying when people do that, so I just smile, say thank you, and move on). And a person can indeed seek to change their personal beliefs by taking in new information, or taking up new religious studies/practices.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think you CAN change beliefs... but it's going to be of your own free will & most likely because you've found something in what you've always believed is wrong.

Or you can change beliefs if you never TRULY believed in the first place --- like if you're raised in a certain religion and you just go with the flow of it because everyone else around you believes it. Then one day actually start questioning it & studying it more in depth & discover "Hey... wait a minute.... this doesn't seem right..."

You're not going to change beliefs because someone else pops in one day and says "Ya know, what you believe is wrong & what I believe is right --- come on over to my side..." Especially when this person (9 times out of 10) knows NOTHING of what you believe in the first place LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Okay, I'm not saying beliefs CAN'T change. But I said that you can't MAKE them change just because you want them to... You can't wake up one day and say I'm gonna believe this today... I have studied MANY religions and continue to. And still hold strong to my beliefs. My thing is you can't just decide to believe something. I have read the bible (for instance) and studied it... I don't believe it... I can't just decide to believe it. That's like just deciding one day that you'll be Buddist because you feel like it... It doesn't work like that. If you don't believe in God you can't MAKE yourself believe one day... It's something that takes time. And there are MANY MANY factors... Not just choice. I was raised in a Christian home where all other religions were considered to be evil... Yet even as a child I didn't have any faith in the things I was taught... My point is you can't just decide to change a belief.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You can't force or make a person change their beliefs. As a Christian I only share what i believe after that it's in God's hands by His Holy Spirit. A person can change their beliefs but someone can't force them.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Well, I suppose I agree with you. I think your speaking from a perspective that says, I will NEVER believe no matter what you say. Its almost like youre trying to spite her? Your belief or unbelief doesnt have anything to do with "her". Most of the time, when a person chooses to believe something different, its not like they wake up and say hey, I will believe this today...just like you said, but its usually sparked from an experience. Its funny how God does things to get our attention and usually it doesn't take all that long. Its the drawing of the Holy Spirit that changes us and we end up believing things we said we were adamantly against. Most likely you didnt have faith in the things you were taught because there was no one living it out in front of you. Same goes with our children. I agree with the basic concept of what youre saying though. You just never know what will cause you to change your minds about things.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• True what you are saying. I only changed after years of being in emotional pain and KNOWING I need God in my life. When I cried out to God His Holy Spirit filled me. I felt Him with me like never. I felt unexplainable peace and so much JOY. I did wake up hungry for more spiritually. I wanted to stay close or even get closer to this Holy God. As I look back He was after me all along setting the stage than one day His will was done when I surrendered it all.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I guess it is more of a gradual thing- but I changed my beliefs. I was raised Catholic, and after majoring in Religious Studies in college I just could not believe Christianity was the one true religion. So now I am agnostic. It did take me a while to get to this point, and feel comfortable saying it to others- but now it just feels right when I think about it. I know I made the right decision- I felt like I was lying to myself growing up, and when I faced my true beliefs, I felt so much better about myself. So it does happen- people do change. I also think maybe they can change overnight- someone may have a very powerful dream and it persuades them to seek a different path. Its different for everyone, and I don't believe in telling someone they can't truly believe it if they woke up one day and said it- because I don't know whats going through their head and they may have truly changed overnight.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2009