what should i say??

ok, i have these two friends, that everytime i bring up homeschooling they say these things like.... you cant homeschool her (and i dont know what to say!) or do you have a teaching degree?? ( and i am speechless!!) she has to be tested ( i know she has to be tested but its not that bad!) and i am stiil speechless!! everytime time they say these thing i dont know what to say!??!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• "You can't home school her" You: "Why not? Give me the reasons why I cannot home school my daughter. (then simply answer each reason they give you)

"Do you have a teaching degree?" You" "No, nor do I need one."

"She has to be tested." You: "Yes, I know that"

My honest opinion...if you can't respond to those simple statements, maybe you need to do some more research for yourself? I'm not trying to be mean, but if you were really ready to home school, you'd know how to answer them. If you have what it takes to home school...good for you! I know I don't have the dedication to do it. And when the dedication isn't there...it's not going to work. My cousin is home schooling...and the district is about to force her to send the kids back to public school because she's not stayed up on it and the kids are way behind.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• well if you feel as thought you want to homeschool you child why dont you do some research on it and find out if thats what you really want to do i would not worry about what to say back to them of they were real friends they would support you rather then question you
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Just tell them that you are aware of all that is involved and you are willing to do whatever it is that is needed. Tell them that you feel it is the best thing for your daughter and you are doing what you need to do to make sure that she succeeds in life. Good luck and dont back down on what you believe in!

Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I homeschool and have dealt with people like this. Usually they end up asking things like, "How is that even legal", "can they graduate and go to a real college", "do you need a degree"? I say:

Yes, it's legal in all 50 states.

Of course they can graduate and most colleges are quick to take in homeschooled kids because they statistically perform higher than traditionally schooled kids.

No, I don't need a degree to teach my own children.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My cousin was homeschooled through her high school years and now she is a nurse at the Mayo Clinic.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 8:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009