I get bored with my child, is this normal?

I love my daughter to death and i'd to anything for her, my problem is I get extremely bored playing with her. I have been a stay at home mother for a while now and I used to do arts and crafts, play barbies ect daily but now I feel just so bored with it all. I am afraid this is effecting my relationship with my daughter. Is there anything I can do to find enjoyment again to ensure that neither her nor I get bored being around each other all day?

ps: She is 4

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Four is the age you should start encouraging supervised play, i.e., let her play by herself and just be there to make sure she doesn't hurt herself or answer any questions. It's a step towards them learning independence, and also helps your sanity so you can get other things done. Kids get addicted to attention, so a little weaning won't hurt. It helps to build their imagination as well.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• And yes it is normal, your IQ is a lot bigger than hers, but use your intelligence to find ways she can play with herself more often.

Answer by older at 5:14 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I think that is pretty normal... we are all a little beyond dolls and Candyland so it can only be 'fun' for so long before it is just tedious. Maybe you can pick a hoddy to enjoy together! DD and I started bird and nature watching when she was about 4/5. We got binoculars and bird feeders and books with lots of pictures. Now we go on hikes and stuff like that!
    NotTooWorried

Answer by NotTooWorried at 5:19 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Have her play the things you play instead of the other way around

she can help you clean, cook and do exercise videos together. Go outside and paint or something
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:51 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Yes, encourage playing with herself....but hun, think about this....she will be a teen before you know it and then you are going to wish those boring playing days were back again, treasure your time with her only because it is so short, I know it does not seem to you it is now now but they are way too short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 5:11 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Yep, sadly, I have lost my childish imagination. I prefer to play games rather than the make believe stuff. I like the suggestions the other moms had about how to still spend quality w/ them. And yes, they do grow too quickly. So enjoy it while it lasts :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• I think its very common. I personally just do not like playing with barbie dolls and never have. So to create bonding times I would have us do activities we both enjoyed. We would go swimming together, Play water gun fights, watch a family video together and order pizza. I will ask her to color a picture to put on the fridge. I have her help me with chores. Let her play dress up with my clothes and paint her nails. Take walks together. etc...
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2012