How to explain little brothers surgery?

Alexandria is almost 3 and a half. Andrew is almost 18 months. Andrew was born with an hand deformity, called Radial Club Hand. He will be having surgery in a few weeks. I'm looking for advice on how to explain this to Alexandria, and when to explain it. Thanks in advance!

Krysta622

Asked by Krysta622 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a four year old daughter and I just had to get surgery done just a few weeks ago. I was nervous because i was affraid she wouldn't understand and it would just confuse her and scare her. but i was VERY impressed on what she did accually understand and how she took it all in. Of course i had to explain it in a way for her to understand. and every child id different on what and how they understand things. escpecially adult things. For example with my daughter, I had to get my galbladder removed so the way i chose to explaion it to her was like when milk goes bad and we have to throw it out. Just told her that something inside mommy's tummy went bad/wasn't wortking so the doctor had to put me to sleep and take the bad stuff out to make me better. it's suprising what our little ones can take in and how they react to it. I am a firm believer in honesty, even with our children to a certain point.
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 5:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would start explaining it a/s/a/p because then he has time to take it all in and is free to ask questions as so on. Does your child go to daycare or anything? You caould also ask them how to approach it or if they can help you do so.
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 5:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My 2 year old had to have corrective surgery on both of his eyes. I just told my 4 and 3 year olds that the doctor was going to try to fix their brother's eyes. I let them know that when he came home they'd have to be gentle with him, etc.

My oldest wanted to know everything! lol He wanted to know what was wrong with his eyes, what would it look like when he got home, etc....He then told everyone at school. rofl

My youngest was the funniest..he was up for the surgery telling every one "dodder bix eye!" lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Say that the doctors are going to fix Andrew's hand, and best wishes for a smooth surgery and recovery.

Answer by Bmat at 6:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Just be truthful. Explain whats going to happen in kids terms. She'll probably just say ok and that will be the end of it.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 7:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• "little brother needs to go to the dr to make his hand work better"
    just keep it honest and simple
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 8:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009