Why are double or triple strollers left to right more often used for twins, triplets than multiples' strollers that are front to back?

The front to back multiples' strollers are sure easier to walk by in a store aisle than multiples' left to right strollers. This is just a curious question not a putdown. Between my husband's family and mine we have three sets of twins in our families. I've seen quadruplets in a front to back multiple seat stroller. Maybe front to back is mechanically less stable cuz the handles way by the pusher of the stroller?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I love my tandem (front to back) double stroller. I tried out the side by sides and found them too hard to use, so I bought this one. I find it way easier to use. I know some people use the side by sides because one child does not like to sit in the back.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I've used both, tandem and side-by-side, strollers. I like side-by-side much better. Especially since I started using joggers!!! I have a triple jogger, a double and a single. I would never go back to a regular stroller. If I need to go into a store, the double works fine as long as there is a 36" opening. Other than that...most stores have shopping carts.

I hated trying to go for walks in the tandem. Every time I hit a little crack, the wheels stuck and I gave the kids whiplash! LOL And trying to pop a tandem over a curb? Nope. Hate tandems. But I did a lot of walking around outside.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• just for the record i love my joovy caboose! and it handles great! i couldn't imagine what my daily walks would be like if i had a side by side. it just doesn't seem practical for anything but the kids playing together
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 6:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I have a friend who uses a side to side stroller(her kids are not twins) but she wanted them to be able to see and talk to each other. Maybe they want them to be able to interact while sitting in the stroller. I only have one son so I just need a little stroller.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I currently have a side by side for my twins, and I HATE it. I bought it because it was on clearance for about 75% off. The problems I have with it is that it is too wide to easily fit in doors and store aisles, and also my twins hit and bite one another. I had a tandem when they were in infant seats, and though it was heavy, I liked it much better.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I have twin boys, 17 months old, and I use both types of strollers for different reasons. I use the tandem for errands and going to the store b/c the jogger doesn't fit easily through doors and is not easily maneuvered around the aisles. I love the jogger for walks around the neighborhood, though, b/c it is much easier to push and gets over bumps and curbs without any problem.
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• The side-by-side is so much easier to push on uneven sidewalks. I have a tandem, and it feels like trying to push a limousine. It's awful. It gets unstable on every little crack in the sidewalk. Plus one kid has to look at the back of the other. No fun. I have no trouble getting through stores with the side by side, and it turns on a dime.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think it depends on the stroller you get too. Some side-by-sides are too wide to get through doors, others fit through no problem. Any stroller with no suspension and plastic wheels is going to be hard to push.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2009