When do you stop using stroller? My toddler is 18 month old, and I'm still using her baby stroller. Should I buy a lighter stroller? Thanks

erlsk

Asked by erlsk at 5:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can keep using it as long as your child will let you. There's no reason to switch strollers unless your child is outgrowing the weight limits and you want a bigger one.  That's what I just did - I take a walk every morning and my original stroller was getting harder to push with a 2.5 year old in it.  I bought a nice light jogger/walking stroller that goes up to 80 pounds.

A word of warning... umbrella type strollers are very convenient for the parent, they fold up small and are super light weight BUT they are terribly uncomfortable for the child. Once you start making your kid sit in one, he will quickly start fighting you.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think that if you are comfortable with it, keep using the same one. We have a lighter stroller (like an umbrella stroller) but we generally use our larger one. It has storage for the diaper bag and my purse, etc. I find it more efficient than the umbrella stroller unless we are just going a short distance.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my son is 2 and when I go walking I use the big stroller(baby stroller i guess) becuase of the place to put the diaper bag. But I also love the little umbrella strollers because they are easy to get out of the car and carry, open, especially when I am alone. So keep both depending on what you are needing.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i would say it de pends on what you like
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My son is almost 3 and I still use a stroller on occasion. I do usually downgrade to a lighter stroller about age 15 mos or so.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i hated that big fat stroller... so when my girl truned 4 months i got a lighter one... then when she was 10 months... i got an umbralla stroller.... so it is really up to you and how you feel about it....

Dayna-Marie
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 6:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I still use the big stroller but as soon as my son was able to sit up really well I either used the umbrella stroller or sat him in the shopping cart when were shopping.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 7:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I use the big stroller when we go to the park and shopping because my son [2 1/2 yrs old] can't walk as fast when I'm in a hurry and he likes to stop and touch stuff in the stores or pick up leaves and rocks when I'm walking for exercise. He likes to kick his feet over the cup holder tray and he also puts his cars in the tray, and I can keep our safely below. I bought an umbrella stroller when we had to take a flight because the reservation agent said I couldn't bring the bigger one; and low-and-behold, what did I see a slew of at the airport? Yes, regular strollers all over the place. So, I never used the umbrella stroller anymore. That was the only reason I bought it. And, yes, as kaycee14 said, the child is very uncomfortable in the umbrella stroller, and in addition to that, it was hard on my back because I had to lean a bit to reach the handles. So for me no umbrella strollers ever again. :)
    Sheashells17

Answer by Sheashells17 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2009