For Christians...

Is it better for someone to claim to be Christian and hold Christian beliefs and yet not live a Christian lifestyle, not be a bad person just not do things that would identify them as a "true" christian. OR... Belong to a different religion all together...

What would you rather if it were your kid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'd rather still be a Christian. Yea, I'm not doing what I should. I do okay but I could do more, much more. That doesn't make me a hypocrite. It's something ALL christians struggle with and God does not expect us to do that. He knows we will fail, and fail and fail and struggle before we ever make it to where we need to be. Every christian goes through that. It's expected. I'd rather keep my belief in God even though I am struggling than to switch to a different religion...I don't follow religion well.
    Christian is not a religion. It's a term people use stating that they woship and believe in God. But, there are MANY religions under christianity. THOSE are religions. and there's a few who prefer to be called jewish instead of christian but they still worship God.
    Anonymous

• Better for whom? As far as the rest of the world goes, people will eventually begin to see through the facade or just decide they want no part of it. As far as God goes...hes not fooled either. Being bad or being good has nothing to do with being a christian. I can't be good enough to win Gods approval so I have to rely on Christ to win it for me. Thank goodness. Speaking from a christian perspective, it would be nice to not have someone making it harder to keep christians out of the dog house. I have to just do the best I can and if someone feels that I am not walking the walk, or living the life, then I will have to just ask God to change me so that I bear good fruit.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• If you believe in your heart that Jesus is our savior and worship and believe in God you are a true christian.
    There is no definition in the bible saying "If you screw up, don't do as much as you should and not show people you are a christian by what you do, then that means you're a fake."

Just like atheists, They don't believe in God and they are TRUE atheists.

You better believe that Christians will ALL mess up, back slide and make mistakes. Yes, they will slack off in their lives. Yes, they aren't going to be perfect or nowhere near it. It's not expected from God so I don't understand why people think if you claim to be christian your suppose to act all goody.
    You're suppose to TRY, yes.
    But you will screw up. You will sin. you will make mistakes.
    It's what's in your heart that matters, It's whether you are humble enough to confess being in the wrong or doing wrong. & being sorry for it.
    Anonymous

• I would rather my children follow their own paths, wherever those paths may lead them, and be honest about who and what they are. Their choice of religion or belief isn't going to change my love for them. Would I prefer my children embrace Eastern Orthodoxy? Of course I would. But I'd rather they be honest about their faith and whatever questions/crises they have, than to pretend to believe something they don't.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 7:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would rather my children be true to themselves. I don't want them to carry around a title that doesn't match up with who they are. It's not going to do anyone any good to walk around being a liar.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I would rather my child be a good person and follow whatever religion she wants. I don't want her to be a hypocrite. I hate when people claim to have a certain faith or whatever, but do not act on it. As it says in the bible (and I don't like quoting it, but for those christians that do) Faith without works is dead.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Okay, I asked the question... I did it annon because many of you know me as Pagan and I didn't want you all to think I was trying to cause drama... My mother, as many of you know is JW. She said to me that she is glad I am Pagan. As you can imagine I was really confused at this one because I know she hates that fact. She said that she would rather I am pagan than a "false" christian. She said she thought it was better to deny Christianity all together than to live a sinful life as a false christian... I guess this was me wondering if any of you felt this way as well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You can straddle the finance what do I went by that? Go to the club on Saturday and then go to church on Sunday.. God don't like it...

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You know we had the same problem with some of my husbands family members. They don't understand why I would choose a path that is obviously difficult at times because of what we deal with socially. I told them sure it would be "easier" to be like everyone else, to follow along with the flow. They have even asked me to hide it for their own sake. But I asked them what is that teaching my teens? It would teach them to live a "lie" to suit others comfort levels. It would teach them to give into bullies of the religious community. No worries Sabrina, we know the love of the God and Goddess. And we know when we leave these bodies we will await a new life in Summer Land.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• personally, i'd rather see someone totally deny christianity, and all its characteristics/actions than to verbally claim it, yet live as if they don't. it'd be a misrepresentation of any 'religion' to claim it, but not live it , or attempt to.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009