How do you get your kids ready to go to bed?

I have a 3 yr old daughter and a 19 month old son who share a room, my infant sleeps with me, and it takes forever to get them to go to sleep. I put them in bed at 9:00, turn the lights off and walk past their room several times over the next hour to make sure they are both laying down and not playing. But even when they do stay laying down they're constantly moving their legs or arms or whatever else. It takes them an hour or more to actually fall asleep. I know one thing that'll help is to ware them out more during the day, but what else can I do? How do you prepare your kid for sleeping? What are your bedtime routines?

kira_5105

Asked by kira_5105 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• whatever you choose to do as a routine it should not be stimulating and it should be the same thing every night. Kids depend on routines. Mine personally is something like this. We pick up toys before supper. After supper only books or puzzles. Bathes or washing up, brush teeth, PJ's a last drink, last toilet, story and tuck in.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• we get ready after dinner which is usually around 6ish or so we get into pjs brush our teeth and he picks out the movie he wants and they watch that until the movie is over and then they go to bed and that is usually around 7:30ish sometimes a little earlier depending on what time the movie ends and whcih movie it is it does take about an hour for my DS to go down and my DD is stubborn so it takes almost 2 sometimes 3 so i started reducing her naps and so far its worked out ok and my took my Ds's naps away completely and now he is usually out within 15 minutes
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• DD is 15 months. We pick up toys before dinner, then eat. She runs around for a while so I can clean up the kitchen after we eat, and then its bathtime. Get her into her pjs, more playtime with lots of nursing. And then we go lay down too ~)

DD kicks her legs and rubs the bed and hits herself in the head with her hand when she's falling asleep. I remember thinking that waiting to fall asleep was boring when I was a kid, which was why I was always squirming. Perhaps their nap runs too late into the afternoon?
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I have an 18 month old who does exactly that!!! He kicks his arms and legs. Mostly it's to get a reaction out of you.Technically, it's called the Operant Conditioning Theory. That is when behavior is changed or modified through positive or negitive consequences. So when you walk by and tell them to lay still or what have you, you're actually giving them the attention they want causing them to stay up. I mostly have to sit in the room with my boy and put my hand gently on his back and I let him tap and fiddle, but if he gets too intense I say "Stop" quietly. He's looking for me to make a rumpus and yell, or talk to him. Let him get comfortable, but don't let them get too much room. Also, I don't know you're routine but 9 might be too late for a 19 month old. Try putting the 19 mopnth old to bed first, then the 3 year old. That way they don't feed off of each other. Hope I helped!!
    KorisMum

Answer by KorisMum at 9:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We do bath at 7:30 and then we lay around on the floor or couch with just a lamp on and no tv! We read books or play with toys that dont make noise or light up (puzzles, blocks, stuffed animals)! Then at 8:30 or 9 its off to bed!! It seems to be working so far! I think the less children are stimulated close to bed time the better! Good luck!!
    Erin802

Answer by Erin802 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009